Author Topic: Volvo unit not working  (Read 9277 times)

Offline ddregs444

Volvo unit not working
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »
I had a Phatbox in my VW. It was wrecked and I purchased a Volvo, changed the firmware, and the phatbox has been working great for 5 years. The other day it stopped working. I had power and ground to the harness, but didn't see any power lights so I bought a new Phatbox head unit from Ebay. Now the green and red lights illuminate (although they may have illuminated on the old unit and I jumped to a conclusion), although the green only briefly and then only the red stays on. it has good power and ground, but the radio head unit no longer shows a CD changer is connected. The DMS will work on the PC in the cradle, and I unzipped the Volvo firmware to the PHTSYS again, but to no avail. The DMS Doctor says it has a System File failure: "Could not find system file G:\<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"-    Anyone have any ideas?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Volvo unit not working
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »
Which Phatbox did you get from Ebay and are you sure it's running the firmware you think it's running?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline g60racer

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Volvo unit not working
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:05:55 pm »
Sorry, I know this has been a long time - but in case you never fixed it...

You need to copy/paste the "forced update" files on to the new DMS in order to make it export the matching firmware onto your base unit in the car.  You may have put the correct firmware on your DMS, but VW Phatbox base units are really picky about matching up precisely with the firmware & hardware.  It will take about 5 minutes to do its thing the first time you insert it and fire up the system.  Gotta let it run its course.  When it's ready, the lights stop blinking furiously and go solid, and it may start playing automatically or you may need to select the CD changer from your head unit.