Author Topic: Strange DMS Behavior  (Read 9031 times)

Offline jgw5k

Strange DMS Behavior
« on: April 23, 2014, 06:22:01 am »
So my DMS wasn't playing nice recently, not being recognized so I used the PhatHack tools and created a new DMS which it did successfully, I also did the firmware upgrade to 7.02 I believe as it's an Audi. I opened it in PhatNoise DMM and loaded some music on the DMS, played some through DMM from the DMS no problem. I did the save and eject, it was transferring files, etc. I put it in the car and it spent some time unable to play as it was doing the firmware update so I listened to CDs for the time, clicked over to the PB after a few minutes and all I heard was the PhatHack track repeatedly. I bring the DMS back into the house and look at it in DMM and the music files are there. Not quite sure what to do with this one...

Offline jgw5k

Re: Strange DMS Behavior
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:46 pm »
As an update, I tried using the PhatHack MM software. It said there were no music files on the DMS, so I reimported the files, it said everything was good with the DMS, put it in the car and got 1 track of "Corrupt Track" with no other files, even though there were somewhere between 80-90 songs on there. Not sure if this is a point where I should try a clean wipe of the DMS, and should I use the PhatHack tools and PhatHack MM software from now on... but as the music plays from my DMS on the PC, but not in the car, I'm wondering if there is an issue with the system files on the DMS or in the PhatNoise head which is causing the problems and am not quite familiar enough to know where to start troubleshooting. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, getting tired of having to use my CDs again... so spoiled by older technology. :D

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Strange DMS Behavior
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:26 am »
You shouldn't need to use the DMS tools any more.  You are updated on that side of things, and everything is set to go.

If you plan on using PhatHack MM, I would do the following:

1. Right-click on the DMS device in PhatHack MM and choose 'Reset Device Database'
2. When prompted, choose to import the contents of the DMS. 

Now I have to remember how this bit works.  Because there are two prompts for the DMS.  One for importing the media using existing playlists (which I suspect you don't have which is causing your original problem) and one for generally importing the media and optionally automatically creating playlists.

So, I think say 'No' to the first question, and 'Yes' to the second.

3. Set the import type to either be 'ID3' or 'Media Center style'

If you are confident most of your tracks are correctly tagged with Album names then ID3 will be fine.  If not, Media Center style could be best to cope with the separation of 'Discs' within an album.
Ensure the option 'Automatically Create Playlists' has 'Album' selected.

The DMS contents should then be imported, and new playlists generated for you automatically.

4. Right-click on the DMS and Save / Eject, this should prepare the DMS for PhatBox operation correctly.

Try the DMS out in the car, and let's see if you are any further!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)