Author Topic: Making Playlists Without PMM (sorta)  (Read 3081 times)

Offline denniz

Making Playlists Without PMM (sorta)
« on: December 28, 2005, 02:38:12 pm »
Like many here I don't think much of PMM.  Dunno if this is an obvious solution, but I use MediaMonkey to manage my MP3 library and create playlists.

MM's playlists are robust and extensible.  Dynamic playlists are supported as opposed to half-finished.  Once your playlist is built in MM just click on it to rebuild and Ctrl-Enter to add the tracks to the Now Playing.  In this way you can set up several dynamic playlists then combine them.

Transporting playlists from MM to PMM isn't difficult; it takes just a moment per playlist. I think this will work with other music managers that can save playlists as M3U files.

Start MM and build a playlist in the Now Playing.
If you prefer to pre-shuffle the tracks, right click and pick "Randomize"
Right click a track in Now Playing and select Save As.  Pick "M3U File"  Do not pick "Playlist"
Save the playlist file anywhere you like; I use my MP3 folder  (Note: an M3U file is a small file containing a list of tracks)
Open PMM and scan the above directory for playlist files; the playlist should appear in PMM
Drag-n-drop the playlist to your DMM, sync and eject

I prefer a random selection from all genres, 500 tracks broken into 100-track playlists.  The only playlists I use PMM for are By Genre auto playlists.

Not exactly a replacement for PMM but a workaround.
I hear and I forget.  I see and I remember.  I do and I understand.  Confuscious