Author Topic: DMS working in PC but not in the car  (Read 40493 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: DMS working in PC but not in the car
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2006, 02:16:41 pm »
Having just read this post from  sbingner
If you could get your box to me I could try running the hack again for you using my original drive.

Someone more knowledgeable would have to advise if this would be worthwhile?

I wouldn't be surprised if that fixed it

Offline Anito

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2006, 05:24:19 pm »
Given that my DMS works elsewhere can't I just try the hack again myself?

Offline cleavea

• PhatHacker
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 12:28:08 pm »
HI Guys

Newbie here, but having the exactly same problem as Antonio with my new Audi PhatBox, loaded the latest firmware patch 7.02 I think on to the 20gb DMS unit and loaded into the car, connected the cd cable to the PhatBox,  the unit just seems to loop continuously through the firmware patch update without ever loading up. Green light flashes slowly for 8 blinks and then flashes faster for about 5min - 8mins, then both lights go out for a second or 2, then both come on, the green light flashes 8 times and then faster for 5-8mins again,

Is there anyone out there who could lend their 20gb original DMS to fix the Phatbox firmware or can i send the unit to you to get patched correctly? PhatNoise have told me to send back to my retailer. but as it was purchased on ebay - i'm not holding out much hope from him.      

Any help would be appreciated

AndyC :(

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 12:24:34 am »
Hello All,

I have a Phatbox for my VW also.  I have the exact same / similar problem.  I hacked the original DMS and then put it into my Phatbox.  It acted a little strange.  It started playing the last song I had listened to before I took it out.  I expected it to pause like it does when a firmware upgrade is being applied, but this was not the case.  Then the box simply died.  Stopped playing the song, no magazine detected, and the lights on the phatbox keep blinking.  It is broken.

I next attempted to repair the DMS.  I booted into the repair cd and it notified me that the partition table was corrupted?  I checked the bootlog and I get this:

BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*-X: Failed

Any ideas would be great right about now. Thanks.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 05:50:36 pm »
You need to corrupt your ramdisk.sig and try again.  that should be the last time you have to boot it for the patch to finish.  Theres lots of posts that have instructions on that.

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2006, 06:02:54 pm »
You mean I need to run the hack cd again on the DMS and then boot the phatbox.  So, its not broken?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2006, 06:12:28 pm »
unless you did something to your DMS since you ran the hack CD last time, no you don't need to re run the CD.
You need to corrupt your ramdisk.sig file and that should allow the system to boot up and run the patch the last time which will also alow you to use a new DMS.  That is what I mean.

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=search

search range should be 365 days or more.. search for corrupt ramdisk.sig and see if you can find instructions. :)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 09:46:01 pm »
Specifically, do this....

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1126429647/1#1

This then allows the patch process to resume.

Offline cleavea

• PhatHacker
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2006, 12:02:25 am »
Thanks for the pointers guys, but still no joy here. corupted the ramdrive.sig file and the unit still sat there flashing away for 8 mins or so and then restarted and did the same again. have now done all of the following .

reformated thephtsys and phtdata drives
reapplied firmware to phtsys
deleted the forceupdate file
corrupted the ramdrive.sig file

there must be something i can do to get this unit going ? anyone in Hampshire, UK who could lend me their dms to see if it the dms or the phatbox that is at fault ?

Any advise help would be appricated.. as i'm getting desperate now.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2006, 12:37:54 am »
well it could be another file's .sig that needs corrupting.  not really sure ... is this the original DMS that isn't working now?

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2006, 02:28:43 am »
Corrupting the ramdisk.sig seems to have fixed the original DMS.  It started playing music again.  I think the hack patch completed, but I'm not sure.  Songs started playing on the phatbox, and then after a couple of minutes, I heard simultaneously the sound file saying the patch had completed.  I think that part is finished?  

The phatbox still doesn't recognize the new DMS I made yet, but I definitely feel a whole lot better about this process.  

Thanks.

Offline cleavea

• PhatHacker
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2006, 07:22:43 am »
Yes it is the original DMS that has the problem..

Offline cleavea

• PhatHacker
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2006, 09:41:08 am »
I'm thinking would it be an idea to boot pc using the hack cd and the view the logs ? or can this be done from windows ?  

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2006, 01:38:01 pm »
the log files are just text format files you can open with notepad.

Offline cleavea

• PhatHacker
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2006, 02:01:52 pm »
which files should i be looking at ?

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2006, 04:58:16 pm »
Still having problems with getting the new DMS to boot.  I can't seem to figure out where it is having a problem.

This is what I have done:
Ran hack boot cd on Orig. DMS.
Placed Orig. DMS in Phatbox. Seems a partial patch occurred?
Removed Orig. DMS from Phabox.
Corrupted ramdisk.sig.
Placed back in Phatbox.
Heard voice that Phatbox was unlocked.
Removed Original DMS.
Used Original DMS to generate new DMS.
Put new DMS in Phatbox.
Nothing happens.  No lights. Nada.  Head unit eventually displays no magazine.
Removed new DMS.
Ran DMS doctor on new DMS.
DMS doctor says MD5 checksum error for aadec.sig.

Researched problem and found this thread with this post:
http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134084911/30
Here, I wasn't exactly sure what was done to get the new DMS to work (seems the poster threw the kitchen sink at the DMS.)  

But, what I have done is: update the new DMS firmware and rebuild the new DMS DBase.  After updating the firmware, the new DMS passes all DMS Doctor tests (no MD5 checksum error.)  The bootlog is empty on the new DMS.  It is like the Phatbox doesn't even recognize the new DMS was placed into it.  
The original DMS still is working.  It will always play the "unlock" speech file at startup which I guess is fine?  It works fine for playback.  

This is a VW PB.  My new DMS is using a Seagate 120gb momentus.

I'm pretty certain I did not do something or did not do something correctly.  Should I just start over?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2006, 10:10:46 pm »
when you plug the DMS into the phatbox.. the NEW DMS.. you get  no lights on the phatbox at all?  when you use the old DMS you do get lights right?

I'd say you either have it jumpered wrong or you are not making good contact with the switch inside the phatbox so its not powering up because no DMS is inserted as far as it knows.

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:35 am »
Okay I got lights now with the new DMS.  First the red light, then immediately after the green light comes on.  Both stay on for 30 seconds to a minute.  Then they both go out and sequence repeats.

Still get no magazine on head unit.  The bootload.log has a size of 4KB, but nothing ascii.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 12:36:49 am by The_Dude »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2006, 02:24:06 am »
did you make sure the dms was jumpered correctly?

Offline The_Dude

• PhatHacker
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2006, 03:07:29 pm »
The old DMS works fine.  It just always says my system has been unlocked when it starts up.

New DMS has no jumpers (which equals master) ; I believe it is jumpered correctly.

I did run a fsck on the drive from the linux hack boot disc.  It complained that the partition table was corrupt.  I think I may need to re-partition / re-create the new DMS???