Author Topic: DMS working in PC but not in the car  (Read 37832 times)

Offline Anito

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
DMS working in PC but not in the car
« on: December 30, 2005, 07:26:57 pm »
hello all, I'm new  :)

I've hacked my 20Gb Disk for a 100GB.  The hack seemed to go well and from Phatnoise Music Manager I can see the DMS, create discs and save them.  I can also play music on my PC from the DMS.

The problem I have is that when I put it into the car it just does nothing.  Let me clarify.  I insert the DMS, from the HU I select my'CD' it sees a load of tracks but plays nothing.

If I swap back to the 20GB disc it works fine.

I have also re-hacked the 100GB drive but still no luck.

Any ideas for a newbie.

BTW, happy New Year  8-)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: DMS working in PC but not in the car
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 12:06:24 am »
You say you've hacked the DMS cartridge - but have you applied the hack to your Phatbox?  (this must be done using the original 20 gig DMS).  Without the box being hacked, your new cartridge will not work.  

Les.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 10:25:51 am »
Yes Lee I have & the 20GB works just fine.

I can run the 100GB disk in Music Manager, load & save discs / files and even play music on my PC from the DMS.  When I load it into the car the lights flash for a few secondd the  go out.  when I go to the HU I have no music.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 11:56:30 am »
More news, day 2:

I've re-tried the hack and notice that I get the message "Software load failed!".  I've seen other threads with this message but they also seem to contain Error 5 on the end, whereas mine has a !.

I can still load PM and it sees the DMS ok and allows me to save music to it.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 02:35:03 pm »
More news, day 2:

I've re-tried the hack and notice that I get the message "Software load failed!".  I've seen other threads with this message but they also seem to contain Error 5 on the end, whereas mine has a !.

I can still load PM and it sees the DMS ok and allows me to save music to it.

It's likely that the script is unable to modify or update a file on your DMS.

I suggest strongly that you run a chkdsk /f on each of the DMS partitions (phtsys and phtdta) and then remove the backup directory from the phtsys partition.  Reload the current firmware via PMM or from extracting the zip files found on phatbox.sixpak.org and then deleting the forceupdate file in phtsys.  Then verify that the DMS works in your car.  (you may get a corrupt track message right away, but thats okay.  if it starts playing normally your are in good shape.)

Then you can retry the hack CD.  Or go the manual route posted on the forums too.  Search for Audi Manual Hack and look for a thread by Genisis.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 04:07:01 pm »
Hi judb, thanks for the help.  Here's what i've just done...

I assumed from you saying run chkdsk/f you mean from the hack CD rather than a windows type chkdsk?

Anyway I booted the hack CD, inserted the DMS and it says

Found "PHTSYS            " and "PHTDATA       ".
Press Enter to repair DMS.

so I did and it went off and did what would appear to be a disk check.  At the end it said

Sarch for DMS: Found
Check partition table: OK
Repair partitions: Fixed
Reformat (if uncorecaoverable erros occur): Not Needed
Repair Done.

I deleted the backup directory (using windows explorer)
I repatched the frimware (which already saying 7.02)
I deleted the forceupdate in PHTSYS

dropped it into the car and it still plays no music.  interestingly this time it turned the HU on/off about 6 times them turn it off period.  

Quite alarmingly I cannot now start the HU even after removing the DMS.  No lights, no audio, nothing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 04:11:39 pm by AudiS4 »

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 04:30:16 pm »
Oh and I have done a Windows chkdsk and it says everything is fine.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 05:06:57 pm »
I've just disconnected the Keg from the car.  HU still off?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 05:11:16 pm »
I was talking about the old DMS.. do that before you apply the hack CD stuff to it.  

I don't think the hack is running properly.  Also there are some logs that it creates on the old DMS that would be helpful to troubleshoot the issue.

I suspect you just need to search for the manual method and follow it step by step and it should work for you though.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 05:21:18 pm »
ok.  I'll give this a try tomorrow.

thanks.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 07:43:22 pm »
Now I'm confused.

My 20GB Disk now goes straight to the repair screen when I boot it from the hack CD.  It does it's thing and says everything is ok.

what's going on.  What am I doing wrong

Sorry I'm not normally such a dumb ass  ::)

I am pleased to report that my HU is working again and the 20GB cartridge plays music.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 07:46:37 pm by AudiS4 »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 07:58:59 pm »
if you can find me on irc at #phathack on irc.freenode.net I may be able to help, I can't handle trying to troubleshoot stuff on forums

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 04:25:01 pm »
Ok so i've got my 20gb to a point where i'm happy it's working.

I've been through the hack process all over again, everything seemed just fine.  Insert the DMS into the car and same result, no music.  It lists the playlist but no music and the timer fails to advance.

I've tried re-applying the firmware and it goes through it's cycle but the result is the same.

I've notice that bootload.txt on the DMS is empty. (it's fine on the 20GB)  Unlike some other peoples problems the profile directory is full of p*.* files

I haven't tried the manual hack described by genesis yet.  Should I?  - Or tried using dd for windows

I should add that before re-applying the hack to the 100GB drive I deleted the partitions first to ensure it was all new.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:27:15 pm by AudiS4 »

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 08:31:32 am »
Now I'm completely stumped.  The DMS has been working just fine in the car with the original 20GB disk installed.  Yesterday I added a single music CD to the disk in exactly the same way that i'd added the others.  I also moved the welcome playlist to the end of the playlists (102 I think).

Today I get the message 'NO MAG' and no music.

Have I got a dodgy keg or DMS?

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 08:18:01 pm »
My DMS now continuously loops through the firmware update (fast blinking for 5 minutes then off).  I've reset the keg, reformatted the disks, reapplied the patch, corrupted the sig file, deleted forceupdate.  No matter what I try I can't get it to settle down.

Any ideas?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 09:05:59 pm »
My DMS now continuously loops through the firmware update (fast blinking for 5 minutes then off).  I've reset the keg, reformatted the disks, reapplied the patch, corrupted the sig file, deleted forceupdate.  No matter what I try I can't get it to settle down.

Any ideas?

Which DMS is this that is acting weird? the original DMS?

I would suggest formatting the DMS using the repair mode of the hack CD or the phatnoise repair CD.

Alternatly you could just delete the database files out of the phtdta root and delete the profiles directory and see if you can get one playlist setup to work before you reformat the DMS and have to wait for music to copy over.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 09:41:29 pm »
Anito, you've got an Audi Phatbox as far as I can tell -- this thread is very confusing.  There are issues related to the Audi/VW boxes and apparently particularly when trying to run the patch using the Audi/VW 20GB DMS.

Suggest you read through these threads:
http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1123119033
http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1134162041

Those might give you some ideas to try.  You can also search "Audi" to find more threads.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 09:25:19 am »
judb & markbowen,

My problem is with the original 20GB disk, although the 100GB hack does exactly the same.

when I insert the DMS into the car it powers up and runs for about 5 minutes doing what appears to be the firmware patch.  when its done it powers off then after about 3 seconds back on again and so the cycle goes.

I have tried the instructions provided by genesis, still no luck
I have reformatted the partitions using windows, no luck
I have repartitioned & reformatted the partitions using some tools provided by phatnoise, no luck
I have reset my keg, no luck
I have a zillion times wiped the disk and started again, no luck.

I'm completely at a loss, the DMS seems fine in the PC and I can listen to the music.  As soon as I put it into the car all it wants to do I run the patch.

A reminder on some background:

Two weeks ago now all was working fine so I went for it and copied 101 albums to the DMS.  I inserted it into the car and it worked fine.  The next day I added one more CD and moved the welcome playlist to the end (102).  I put the DMS back into the car and it started saying NO MAG.  since that day i've not heard a peep from it.

The car has been to the dealer and he's checked wiring, HU and all that.  The phatnoise has been tried in another Audi and it does the same thing.

I'm at a loss.

Does anyone here live or work in either the shropshire or wiltshire area?  I'd be interested to see what another phatnoise does in my car?
cheers

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 02:00:15 pm »
I just went through my own tribulations patching my Kenwood keg, so don't count on me for much.  But a couple of things:

If your original DMS stopped working only after you moved the welcome playlist to the end, common sense would suggest you move the welcome playlist back to the beginning and see what happens.

Never mind what the DMS does in the PC.  You can take any disk and create two partitions called phtsys and phtdta and the Phatnoise software will think it's a DMS.  Doesn't mean it will work in your car.

Most importantly, judb can probably confirm that there have been issues when trying to patch a box using a 20GB Audi/VW disk as the source.  I don't know that it's been resolved.  Search some more through the forums for "Audi" or "VW" and you will find more info.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 03:26:22 pm »
Mark,

I'm no longer trying to hack my 20GB, I'm just trying to get it working again.  As for the the welcome playlist I tried moving it to the beginning and that was no good.  I've re-formatted the drive several times (the process re-creates the welcome playlist) and still it doesn't work.

I'll keep searching for references to 20GB disks in Audi's

cheers.

Oooh, just remembered something else.  I have no log files or directories?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 03:27:05 pm by AudiS4 »