Author Topic: DMS working in PC but not in the car  (Read 39597 times)

Offline Anito

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
Re: DMS working in PC but not in the car
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 04:33:36 pm »
More info:

I've booted my laptop using partition magic and it reports and error with the DMS drive "Partition table error #108 found"  If I ask for info on the drive it says the partition is BAD.

is this just beacuse Partition Magic doesn't understand the drive or is there really an error?

Can I recover from this?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 05:03:44 pm »
Oooh, just remembered something else.  I have no log files or directories?

You wouldn't have a log directory unless the DMS is in the state as after running the hack CD.  Problem is you've done so much with the original DMS by now it's hard for anyone to tell what state it's actually in.  

What it sounds like to me is that your Phatbox was incompletely patched at some point.  What's happening at startup is it's trying to complete the process and unable to do so for some reason.  At least what you're describing is very similar to what I went through trying to patch my Keg.  You have to finish the patch somehow, which does mean starting from scratch.  But you need someone who has successfully patched an Audi box to be more precise, and I can't help you there.  Hopefully someone will jump into this thread who knows more.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 06:54:16 pm »
Re the Partition Magic problem - this is normal (at least on version 8).  It does not like some aspect of the way that the DMS is partitioned and reports the partitions as Bad as you say.  I certainly suggest that you do NOT use Partition Magic to attempt a fix, or you may really screw the DMS.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 07:53:11 pm »
Re the Partition Magic problem - this is normal (at least on version 8).  It does not like some aspect of the way that the DMS is partitioned and reports the partitions as Bad as you say.  I certainly suggest that you do NOT use Partition Magic to attempt a fix, or you may really screw the DMS.

I thought so, cheers.

So i'm still no closer to a working DMS  :-[

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 07:47:00 am »
still not sure what your problem could be...  unfortunately I'm in a remote location for the next week so I won't be around on IRC, but can you try to describe the blinking?  make sure it's not a code followed by alot of fast blinking (the blinking led of death)  if so, you could have your sig area corrupted on your original DMS, if you dont have a patched DMS you may need to get somebody with an unmodified DMS (read: booting original, it may have been used to apply patch) to help you....  if you corrupted the ramdisk.sig on a clean install by replacing it with linux.sig and it didn't work, the problem isn't related to the actual patch process

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 05:01:46 pm »
Is there anyone in the mainland UK that would be prepared to re-hack my original DMS for me?  I'll be quite happy to pay for transportation and even some goodwill.

cheers.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 05:27:42 pm »
Hi Anito,

Well, I am in the UK (Cambridgeshire)  - but work is keeping me elsewhere in Europe a fair bit at the moment.  I may be able to help, but can't guarantee my availability.  Where are you based?

Regards,

Les.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 04:31:17 am »
Hi Anito,

Well, I am in the UK (Cambridgeshire)  - but work is keeping me elsewhere in Europe a fair bit at the moment.  I may be able to help, but can't guarantee my availability.  Where are you based?

Regards,

Les.

cheers for the offer.  I found a chap on ASN who I sent my DMS to last week.

Quite bizarrely he inserted my DMS into his car & it worked first time, no problems and with no effort.  he then copied some other music and that too is fine.  The DMS is now on it's way back to me to try again in my car.

I am totally puzzled by this.

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 08:12:50 am »
Hi Anito it was me I saw your post both on here and ASN.

For your information:-

My box is hacked.
This is Anito’s genuine 20 gig Audi DMS.
When  I checked Anito’s  DMS there was no music present so  I downloaded 2 CD’s  onto the DMS using PMM (FLAC I think) & then tried it in my car.  
It played straight away in my car so if the genuine sig is corrupt it does not affect my box or the problem lies elsewhere.

So in my opinion it is either a problem with the Phatbox or a problem downloading to the DMS at Anito’s end.

I have sent the DMS back untouched apart from the music I loaded.

Craig

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 07:51:17 pm »
Update,

Without doing anything to the DMS I inserted it into the car.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  and it still won't work in my car.

I inserted into the cradle and could see the music timps added for me.  I re-downloaded and updated the firmware (which was showing correctly anyway) inserted into the car and still no use

It seems to me the problem is with the keg in the car not the DMS.  Anyone know how to fix this?  I'm getting close to sending it back to Phatnoise for repair.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 09:31:10 pm »
Did you try using anyone elses original DMS to see if that would make it work?

Offline timps

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 10:08:24 pm »
Having just read this post from  sbingner

Quote from sbingner  “actually, once the hack is applied... you should be able to use any drive that's partitioned properly, with or without the signature.  I've verified this on all my phatboxes and on a few other people's boxes with the newest patch applied.  The hack CD still copis the signature just to be safe”

Then if my box is hacked with the newest patch (not sure which version of patch I used) is it possible the DMS sig is corrupt but it still works in my box.

If this is the case your box might not be hacked properly and the sig is now corrupt but this does not affect my box but does with yours.

And if your box is not hacked then an original DMS would be needed to re run the hack.

Did you ever get your replacement  drive to work in  the car?

If you could get your box to me I could try running the hack again for you using my original drive.

Someone more knowledgeable would have to advise if this would be worthwhile?

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 11:20:27 pm »
Did you try using anyone elses original DMS to see if that would make it work?

Timps has put my DMS in his car.  I have not tried anyone else's DMS in my car.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 11:26:01 pm »
Here's a thought and question.

It seems my original DMS is just fine.  I also have a 100GB replacement ready for the day things start working.  Is it worth me trying to hack this new drive in an attempt to force the keg back to normal life?

thoughts  :-?

Offline timps

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2006, 04:47:49 pm »
You would need an original uncorrupted drive to run the hack if the hack has not worked at all.

As for your DMS as my early post suggests it might have a corrupt signature but this does not affect my box.

You need to try a genuine DMS as judb suggests if it works then the box needs hacking if not then there is another problem.

If you are prepared to travel or send the box I will help as much as I can.

Craig

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
I have also now tried version 7.00, 6.00 and 5.00 of the firmware, none of which have applied correctly.  The Keg continualy thinks it needs to process the firmware upgrade and will go no further.

Let me re-iterate this is my original, genuine 20GB DMS that was working.

even if I delete the forceupdate file it still tries to patch the keg.  

This week it's going back in it's box to phatnoise and they can fix this.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006, 05:35:39 pm »
It seems my original DMS is just fine.

Hi Anito, are you sure it is OK?  As was mentioned, your original DMS has been shown to work in a hacked box.  That does not mean that the DMS is guaranteed to work in your un-hacked (or incompletely hacked) box.  It simply means that the hard disk istelf is functional.  Unless you have the original DMS proven to work in an unhacked box, then there is a possibility that the signature area on that DMS has been corrupted.  If it has, then most probably this was done during one of your attempts to repartition or re-format (Windows based repartitioning and formatting do not always respect how other systems may have allocated disk space).

As Timps has said, the real test for the DMS would be to try your DMS in an unhacked box.  If that works then your DMS is OK and there is a box problem.  If that does not work then you need to use an original Phatnoise DMS with a valid signature in order to complete the patching of your box and to possible get it's firmware into the correct state.

Until the box is known to work with an original DMS and then the hack is applied to it, you will not be able to do anything with your 100 gig drive.  You cannot apply the hack using your 100 gig drive since until the box is hacked it will not recognse the 100 gig drive as valid.

And in you last post...

even if I delete the forceupdate file it still tries to patch the keg.

This seems really strange.  I suspect that it is not patching, but is stuck in some kind of error loop.

Regards,

Les.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 05:36:06 pm by S80_UK »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2006, 10:47:36 am »
still sounds like you have it patched up to the point it needs a corrupted ramdisk.sig but I think you said you tried that

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2006, 12:59:42 pm »
still sounds like you have it patched up to the point it needs a corrupted ramdisk.sig but I think you said you tried that

I have yes.  But before I put it in a box and ship it off I'll try one more time  ::)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2006, 02:15:01 pm »
speaking of shipping, if you feel like paying shipping to me and back I'll fix it for you heh...