Author Topic: Just saying hello again....  (Read 12529 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Just saying hello again....
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:41:08 am »
Hi all,

It's been a while, and it seems I have missed a lot of PMs and general conversation topics (the forum hasn't notified me of anything in forever!)
So if I have missed anything, I'm sorry, it was not intentional!

I've not been hiding away I have just been exceptionally busy with life, and new jobs. 

Believe it or not, I still work on PhatHack Media Manager as I use it at work daily, and on my CarPC - but that's been mostly bug-fixing.
Elements of PHMM have spawned out into other projects, but nothing PhatNoise related!

I still have the test boards I was sent a long time ago, and I had managed to get the drivers for the being recognised as the old PhatHack USB drivers.  I don't know that's much use these days, but hey!

Anyway, I'm back!  And if I can remember anything, I'll help where I can! :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:42:58 am by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bolopez

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Just saying hello again....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:08:21 am »
Stuart, you say that you still have the test boards. Is there any chance to buy a working one anywhere? I'm afraid my cradle is failing too much, and buying a new one seems impossible (for a reasonable price...). I almost bought one on eBay las tuesday, but someone else was faster (and had more money to spend...) than me.

Regards

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:41:54 am »
Sorry when I said test boards, I meant singular.  I have no idea if they are still available retail, but they are a multi-board that would not fit inside the cradle.

Your best bet these days is to go for something along these lines:

2.5" IDE Enclosure on Ebay UK

2.5" IDE enclosure on Ebay Germany

2.5" IDE enclosure on Ebay France

2.5" IDE enclosure on Ebay Italy

2.5" IDE enclosure on Ebay US

Opening up the DMS cartridge is easy, just take care removing the board from / Attaching to the disk drive so that no pins get bent!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bolopez

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:45 am »
Thanks for the answer. I already have a couple of those, but I can't make them work with PN Media Manager, which I need to mix English and Spanish voice tags. Always the same "DMS ID" message, and it is a recognised drive (it works with the cradle...)

This weekend I hope I'll have another DMS so that I can use one in my car and the other one to keep testing.

Thanks anyway and regards.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:19:08 am »
I need to find out why I can't build the latest version of PhatMM, but any reason why you are not using that?  It doesn't care what disk is inside the DMS...!

Offline bolopez

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:10:07 pm »
Unless I'm too stupid to find how to do it (very possible :)), there's no way to generate Spanish song titles AND English song titles. In PNMM you can choose what language you want for each and every title, artist, playlist and genre.

Some time ago I tried to use PhatVoice, but it seems too complicated for me :(

I have your last release, I think, 1.0.14.

Regards.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:33:33 am »
Adding in an extra field for a language wouldn't be that hard, so I'm quite happy to accommodate a change like this.

The only thing I would need to know, is what rules would we put in place for determining what get's written to the DMS?

Offline bolopez

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 05:46:03 am »
Stuart, I'm afraid that we are just a few survivors using PhatBox. In my case it's just that I will soon need a new car and don't want to spend more money on the old one taking into account that I've allways been very happy with PhatNoise (except when putting new music on it...). I would really appreciate if PHMM could add this feature, but I'm sure that you can spend your time in funnier things :).

Anyway, if you feel like programming again PHMM, PhatNoise Media Manager interface lets you choose the language for each song, each artist, each playlist, each genre and each album, but (at least for me) it would be enough if I could choose a language for each playlist. It could be a dialog with the list of playlists and a listbox beside the name where you could choose any of the voices available in the operating system. That would be great.

Even a "Change language" option when pressing the right button of the mouse on a playlist and applies to the whole list would be fine. And I suppose that adding this option to every item (I mean, "voice message capable" item) would not be too difficult once you have deployed it for one.

Stuart, whether you change your app or not, it's always a pleasure having you around here. And your help and know-how is always welcome.

Regards.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:58:45 am »
I'm at the end of my current delivery so I have a little more time to 'tinker'.  I already have a new version of PhatMM that fixes some bugs in the previous version, but I have never been able to successfully install it outside of the development environment (and cannot work out why!)

Adding extra fields is no problem, and tweaking the interface shouldn't be either.  I'll have a think about it after I get a virtual machine successfully running the latest version!

Offline bolopez

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:31:36 am »
I'm a great beta tester, if you want me to try. I'm specially good finding bugs :)

And right now I have Windows XP, 10 and a virtual environment to test (VMware, Virtual Box, you name it...)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 10:37:54 am »
I now have the application running under a Windows Vista VM!  It seems I already added the ability to specify a voice, and separate phonetics to a playlist.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 01:58:25 pm »
Well not quite everything is going to plan on the Virtual Machine.  Having got the existing code running, when I tried to 'rebuild it' having created a full installer - I ended up in a bit of a mess!  So I had to clear things down a lot, and finally got back to being able to build an installer with nearly all the files needed for the software to run on the Virtual Machine.

Quote from: Virtual Machine
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Scanning for media matching available decoder extensions....
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: ....media items available: 14
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Iterating media items....
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Preparing to import file: C:\Users\VorTechS\Music\Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)\1 - F.U.N..mp3
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Importing File: C:\Users\VorTechS\Music\Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)\1 - F.U.N..mp3
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Determining playlist name for media item....
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Playlist name is: Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: PhatSort key for playlist is: Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Checking Playlist ID(will create if missing)
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: SQL Error: No connection associated with this command
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: SQL Statement in use: INSERT INTO playlists (name, m3u_path, playlist_position, phatsort_key, dynamic_playlist) VALUES ('Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)', '', 1, 'Bassnectar - Noise vs Beauty (2014)', 0);
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Playlist ID returned was: -1
06/Oct/2015 - 14:54:47: Generating new playlist.  REPORT THIS MESSAGE IF YOU SEE IT, I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD BE SEEING IT.