Author Topic: Using a Keg C710 at home?  (Read 9671 times)

Offline bolopez

• Getting the hang of things.
Using a Keg C710 at home?
« on: September 29, 2015, 07:43:28 am »
Ok, I now this is a strange one. I was looking for a DMS cartridge and I've found someone here in Spain who's selling a Keg KEH C710 for just 30€ with a DMS. Is there any chance of  modifying the KEG to make it work at home without a HU?

I mean, the KEG has RCA outputs, so perhaps it could be controlled by serial port or any other way... I just want to be able to test my #@%&# DMS before putting it into the car. Going downstairs a few floors to the garage to find out it's not recognised every time I put some music on it is driving me mad...

Regards.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Using a Keg C710 at home?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 08:17:20 am »
I'm not sure how feasible that is, somehow I suspect it will have a reliance on basic communications with a head unit to make sure one is there. 

But with the Keg taking it's power from a HU, you could just get a second head unit and power that.  It might not help though, the Keg is a bit notorious (from my experiences with it anyway) about changes to the DMS that means I usually end up factory resetting the HU to wrestle control back!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bolopez

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »
I thought about buying an HU just for this, I'm sure I could buy a very cheap compatible one, but then the DMS cartridge would not be compatible with my Volvo HU. And a Volvo one is too big to put it on my desk just for that :)

I'll wait for the Keg (it arrives on friday) to open it and find out if there's something to be done. Though I'm afraid I'll just hide it or keep it as a spare if it uses the same connector as my Volvo one.

Thanks anyway and regards.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:23:21 pm »
If the version of the Keg has the RCAs on it you might just be able to throw a 12v supply to the box and then route the audio through a normal HiFi unit!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline bolopez

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »
Yes, that's what I thought but... how do I control the unit? That's why I was asking if there was a way to control it through the internal serial port. That way perhaps I could even use Volvo firmware...