Author Topic: Can the hard drive in a Ipod Video be upgraded?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
Can the hard drive in a Ipod Video be upgraded?
« on: January 01, 2006, 05:46:03 pm »
I just a 30gb Ipod Video and I remember seeing that some of the older Ipods, people were replacing the hard drives in them. I know this is newer technology and I'm not even sure what kind of hard drive is in these Ipod videos.

If anyone know anything about this, please let me know. I did a search on google but came back with nothing relevant.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 10:27:34 pm by mts »
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline gallagher419

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Freakin' sweet!
Re: Can the hard drive in a Ipod Video be upgraded
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 10:16:35 pm »
I'm relatively sure that they cannot be upgraded because the harddrives are small, they aren't the normal laptop drives like Phatnoise uses. If memory serves me correctly the Ipod Video uses a 1.8 inch HDD.
"Gays don't vomit. They're a very clean people. And they have been ever since they came to this country from France."

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:38:17 pm »
You can buy other size 1.8inch drives im sure but as to if you can get the new drive to work in the ipod, I'd suggest looking at an ipod forum for that as I have no idea.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 03:36:40 pm »
I've never seen a 1.8" hard drive? Huh, wonder what the biggest size they make?
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 10:35:24 pm »
There are a number of different 1.8 inch drives out there (Sony also use them in their NW-HD series players).  Personally, I have know knowledge on the iPod upgrade possibilities, but the drive may be locked (from the size point of view) to the firmware.  Another thing to watch out for is that the thickness of the drive casing can vary, so even if you can get a larger drive you also need to check that if fits the space available.

Les.