Author Topic: DMS tool 2.15 and Windows and Creating / Repairing Dirves (Ie. 20G)  (Read 13327 times)

Offline sticman

First time I've had to create a drive due to a glitch, no phtsys on the 20G. Found out I cant get the tools to work. On the same machine with the USB2 cradle, Windows 7 64bit is a no go. With Windows 10 64bit the cradle and drive mount with some coaxing, But no formating with DMS tool 2.15, not even with the restart trick mentioned for Windows 7 works for Windows 10.

So I have a Windows XP 32bit VM built and the cradle and drive mount like a normal, fast and reliable, I use this VM with the PhatNoise manager to load the music. So I installed DMS tool 2.15 in the XP VM and the software does not function. I end up with this error...

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find special directory 'My Documents'.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.GetDirectoryPath(String Directory, String DirectoryNameResID)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.SpecialDirectories.get_MyDocuments()
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.SpecialDirectoriesProxy.get_MyDocuments()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.PopulateDeviceList()
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.frmStartupWizard_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3634 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StandAloneDMSHackWizard
    Assembly Version: 2.14.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.2.14
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/StandAloneDMSHackWizard.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3634 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3637 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3639 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
PhatUnzip
    Assembly Version: 1.3.3.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.3
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatUnzip.DLL
VorTechS.DMSTools
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/VorTechS.DMSTools.DLL
DMS
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/DMS.DLL
UsbEject
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/UsbEject.DLL
PhatDriveSnapshot
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatDriveSnapshot.DLL
Bass.Net
    Assembly Version: 2.4.4.1
    Win32 Version: 2.4.4.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/Bass.Net.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

So I suspect because the DMS tool 2.15 was written for the newer Window OS's and is looking for the new location of My Documents compared to old location in XP.

Ive found the same error listed in this forum, but see no solution.
So I'm hoping I missed something and someone can point out the solution or maybe there's an easy edit in the software to point the DMS tool 2.15 to the old My Documents.

My other direction is to build a newer 32bit Windows VM, but I would love to keep the tools in the trusty XP.

Thanks

Offline bolopez

• Getting the hang of things.
I'm not at home now so I can't look at my configuration, but I can tell you it's been working in Windows 7 and 10 64 bits without any problem. I remember there were some problems with the firmware repository not being online, but that was solved.

As for the "My Documents" location, I'm not sure (not a programmer), but I think that the "get_MyDocuments()" function should get your "My Documents" directory if it's available in any Windows version. Perhaps your "My Documents" folder is not available in your XP machine, maybe pointing to a network drive or something like that?

I don't know if Stuart (the writer of DMSTools and PhatHack Media Manager) is still around. His website (phatnoise.us) does not seem to work, but I'll search at home if I have a newer version of DMStools.

On the other hand, I found that transfering files from an XP VM is much much slower than from Windows 7 or 10, but I'm using PhatNoise Media Manager (some problems with languages...) so YMMV.

Regards.

Offline sticman

Thanks for the reply. I spent the time to find out that the same error occurs in my Win 7 XP mode and Win 10 Oracle XP vm. From research there might be a reg hack since I don't see anything restricting access to the my documents in both VM's. I have since moved on (ended up with new install disks for windows) and realized my main problem is the USB negotiation with the usb 2.0 cradle on the Host machine with the two host OS's. I built two new Win 7 vm's in Oracle VirtualBox (32bit Pro using PII3X and 64bit Home using ICH9 simulated chip-sets and Usb 2.0 setting) The 32bit has no updates and the 64bit is completely updated. Both vm's mount the cradle with out issue and DMS tool 2.15 formats and creates the drive like expected first try. (no restart needed either) (tested in both vm's) I don't know what VitualBox does with the USB negotiation on the Host USB ports but it works. For me the Vm's all transfer files in a decent time that I would expect with USB2.0.

In my reading I did come across information that suggests that Windows and some USB hubs will not set the speed or negotiate properly if there are other usb devices already using ports on the hub, plus the age / generation of the device comes into play. This would explain to me why I've had detection / mounting problems with my host OS's. I don't have any on board USB hubs that I can completely unplug every device to test (too many on board USB devices and of course keyboard and mouse). One thought is to try and find a good old school external USB 2.0 only hub and see if it works as a bridge to get the cradle to work the Host Os's.

I know this post was originally centered around XP, but I though I share the solution of my direction change in the hopes it helps someone. 

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: DMS tool 2.15 and Windows and Creating / Repairing Dirves (Ie. 20G)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:28:28 am »
Hey, sorry I didn't see this.  Seems odd that .NET gave you the documents error on Windows XP.  Which version of XP was it, and how up to date was it?
I can take a look at the source code and see if I can replicate / fix it on one of my own VMs if I have any XP ones around still!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:30:24 am »
My host migrated servers recently and somehow managed to destroy the Phatnoise.us website in the process, and I haven't worked out why it refuses to start.
I should just migrate it to WordPress and be done with it, but I'll have another crack at the weekend.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sticman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 04:37:34 pm »
Not too much of a big deal for me, I just default to XP because of my personal industry experience. I have the Win7's in VM's now and they work. But if you want to try and work out the bug, I'm willing to be the tester. I did try to find 2.10 but I didn't look hard enough find it to see if it replicates the same error. I can remember trying the another version, I tried since post and it threw the error, I think 2.13.or 2.12. I know the other versions don't function in grabbing the online files, but the net error is at the beginning. That is as far as I have gone. I can get details of the OS versions and stuff but I'm down with a failed SSD on the machine I setup for the moment.

Also another note for the forum buried in the forum I came across that really helped.
If you make a drive and you can see it in windows and load music on it, but it doesn't load in the player. Then chkdsk the DATA partition.  The OS's missed complaining about the data partition, think one of the 7's complained once and I wrote if off as anomaly. I only found out when I checked with g-part that the Data partition was out of range. Since the newly created drive failed to load in the player. I used Win7 to do the chkdsk repair. The drive I re-setup has been rock stable in the player ever since. Loads every time since and no random no CD error.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 11:45:31 am »
I've never been happy with my calculations on the partition creation side of things, so I can wholly believe there's an issue from the perspective. 

I think I had a version that uses a different calculation - and I sent it out for testing, but I don't recall ever getting feedback as to whether or not it was resolved, or if it was ever rolled into the last public version of the tools.

Offline bolopez

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 01:38:55 pm »
If I remember correctly, you sent me a testing version some tiem ago, but it never worked. My memory is not any good, but maybe there were problems with supporting DLLs or something like that (maybe I even told you :))). I'll try to find it and test again.

Regards.

Offline mdp

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:34:15 pm »
Wow, so it is possible to rebuilt a failing disc. Can you be more specific on the tools you use to repair the disc?
I suspected the problems were due to cluster size of the new formatted dms.

Grtz mdp
Phatbox 160 gb used in Audi, now running on Samsung 850 evo mSata 250 gb ssd in idee to mSata converter

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 10:02:46 am »
I still have all the source code to hand.  So let me know if you need an updated version!