Author Topic: Harddrive "fixing"  (Read 7287 times)

Offline para

• Veteran.
Harddrive "fixing"
« on: March 29, 2005, 09:20:29 pm »
I'd like to use this thread for ideas on how to "fix" the information a harddrive sends to the OS (requested by hdparm in this case) without using the man in the middle attack...

We've learned that the DMS lock probably uses information like the drive's serial number, modelname, firmware revision etc. How can this be changed? When I look into my syslog I see the following:
Code: [Select]

Vendor: USB-HS    Model: PhatNoise DMS 20  Rev: 0.01

It appears that they have changed the drive's information! It's not the cradle because that's called like this:
Code: [Select]
ID 0424:20cd Standard Microsystems Corp.
The question is: do they change it themselves or does it Toshiba (or Fujitsu) for them? If they do it themselves there should be a way we could do it also! Unfortunately I don't know any tool to do that. I really doubt that it's possible to change the serial number but the model name might be possible... I can't imagine that they have some cooperation with the drive vendors to do some exclusive OEM branding for them, can you?

Para
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 09:24:09 pm by para »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Harddrive "fixing"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 11:52:04 pm »
It has been said that the model number change is not used, but rather only the serial number.... I do not however know this for a fact

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:59:54 am »
See if you can contact a drive maker and get a firmware updater for their drives.  we should be able to modify things but I doubt you can just rewrite the serial number with the tools they would send us.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 03:20:36 am »
ah, heres a toshiba HDD firmware update utilty and a firmware image..
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/notebookprosignia/us/download/8881.html

perhaps someone could look in there and see if theres a way to replace the drive serial number?

Offline sammybaddy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:02:34 pm »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 11:38:20 pm »
That value changes each time you repartition the drive.  We can toy with that however, I doubt seriously that it is the serial number they use.  unless the phatnoise rebuild CD uses something like the drive serial to set it.. but I'd be suprised if they used that.

Offline sulaco

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 12:29:58 pm »
That changes the volume (partition) serial number, not the actual drive serial number

Offline Oaf

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 12:41:16 pm »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:18:51 pm »
That might be...  if one of the drives we are trying to use' firmware is posted on there.