Author Topic: Debug setup underway  (Read 10822 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Debug setup underway
« on: March 29, 2005, 11:26:29 pm »
Okay, Here's my setup as it stands now.

I have a keg opened up and connected to a KCA-R70FM powered by a PC powersupply that I cut one of the sets of 12 volt wires and hooked the ground and power / turnon wire up to from the R70FM and just power the unit from the switch on the back of the PC powersupply.

if you want any details of how I did this (how to make an ATX powersupply work without a motherboard using a short jumper cable) or which wires to cut and use for the KCA-R70FM for power let me know.

I'll be getting the JTAG / Serial port connections going shortly and then we'll really be cooking with gas (hopefully!)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 11:28:28 pm by judb »

Offline shack

Re: Debug setup underway
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 06:58:21 am »
OK - I'll bite.  I'd love more info on how to do this.  I've got tons of old power supplies sitting around and can always use an extra 12 volt bench supply.

Thanks!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:37:32 pm »
take a short lenght of wire, or a paperclip, plug one end into the green wire plug on the ATX power connector (that would go to the motherboard) and plug the other part into the black wire in the plug immediatly to the right of the green wire.

This will act as if the power switch was pushed.

As for getting a 12 v supply to other items,  I suggest buying a molex Y cable (to give you two extra plugs.

Cut off one of the plugs.  The yellow wire should be your 12 volt supply and the black wire is ground (either of them) ... get some crimp connectors or the twist lock wire nuts to hook your 12 volt supply up to your car audio device.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 02:41:43 pm »
Here is a photo of the power connectors:

Offline AndyMan

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 05:40:17 pm »
Nice one judb!  I was "almost" ready to go out an dbuy a regulated 13.8v supply, you've saved me about $50

Much appreciated
Andy

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 07:08:59 pm »
i got a 240 Watt PC Powersupply at Frys for 25 dollars.  I've been meaning to set up a 12v test bench (I mean I couldnt run any big car stereo amps off this thing but hey..

Well, now that I think about it, I should probably just open this up and cut off most of the wires and run some larger gauge wires out of the supply for larger applications than a single 12v device like the keg.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 11:26:05 pm »
Pin Assignments DB-9 Serial to Phatbox Serial Port JP8

1 DCD Data Carrier Detect - Blue Wire
2 RXD Receive Data - Yellow Wire
3 TXD Transmit Data - Orange Wire
4 DTR Data Terminal Ready - Not Used – Green Wire
5 SG Signal Ground - Black Wire
6 DSR Data Set Ready - White Wire
7 RTS Request to Send - Not Used – Brown Wire
8 CTS Clear to Send - Red Wire
9 Ring Ring Indicator - Not Used - No Wire

1 2 3 4 5
_________
\ .  .  .  .  .  /
 \ .  .  .  .  /
   ---------
   6 7 8 9  

5 TXD (UART1)YellowWire
7RXD (UART1)Orange Wire
9DCDBlue Wire
11DSRWhite Wire
13CTSRed Wire
14GroundBlack Wire

(JP 8 )

1 3 5 7 9  11 13
  2 4 6 8 10 12 14
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 12:12:23 am by judb »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 11:30:53 pm »
Sorry for the quality of the ascii drawings, the board does some weird stuff with the space formatting.  I give up on trying to fix it.

Also, here are some photos of the cable in progress..
This end will connect to the back of my laptop:

This is the other end that I will cut off the wires and place them into the JP8 connector and hold them together with some tape hopefully:

This photo is with one end finished and the next still in progress...

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 11:34:59 pm by judb »

Offline LindsayLohan

• A few posts under my belt.
  • I don't really hate Hilary Duff
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 02:40:19 am »
You got all these sweet pictures, but where's the beef?  When do we get to see the coolness and the magic happen?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 03:56:58 am »
LOL...

well I ran into some problems with the serial cable ... I broke one of the pins and its not easy to fix so I'll go back to the store tomorrow to buy another end and finish the job.  It'll be a nasty ugly hack but it will work I am pretty sure. :)

Trust me, once I get access to the box I'll let you know.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 04:51:51 am »
F*)(#@#*&$@(

This tiny interface is giving me fits!  

BTW the connectors listed in the FAQ are wrong.  Those are 2mm seperated pins and the connector on the phatbox is just less than 1mm if I read my ruler correctly for pin spacing.

Offline crap

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 02:25:05 pm »
Here, I'll fix it for you.. you are not yet skilled in the ways of ASCII art and fixed-width fonts:

Code: [Select]
 Pin Assignments DB-9 Serial to Phatbox Serial Port JP8  

1 DCD Data Carrier Detect - Blue Wire
2 RXD Receive Data - Yellow Wire
3 TXD Transmit Data - Orange Wire
4 DTR Data Terminal Ready - Not Used – Green Wire
5 SG Signal Ground - Black Wire
6 DSR Data Set Ready - White Wire
7 RTS Request to Send - Not Used – Brown Wire
8 CTS Clear to Send - Red Wire
9 Ring Ring Indicator - Not Used - No Wire

1 2 3 4 5
   6 7 8 9  

5  TXD (UART1)YellowWire
7  RXD (UART1)Orange Wire
9  DCDBlue Wire
11 DSRWhite Wire
13 CTSRed Wire
14 GroundBlack Wire

(JP 8 )

1 3 5 7 9 11 13
+---------------+
| . . . . . . . |
| . . . . . . . |
+---------------+
  2 4 6 8 10 12 14  

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 02:31:17 pm »
Thanks crap!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2005, 05:43:34 am »
So far all I can get out of the box is

Code: [Select]
Jooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo                                                                                
Jïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïïï                                                                                
ûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûû                                                                                
ûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûûû                                                                                
================================================================================                                                                                
================================================================================                                                                                
þþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ                                                                                
þþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ                                                                                
þþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ                                                                                
ývþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþþ¨

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2005, 05:45:21 am »
I've tried just about every config for serial port terminal access.. I am starting to wonder if perhaps it was disabled some how or if my cable is bork3d.

if anyone has any suggestions for things to try, please PM me.

Thanks!

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2005, 05:52:16 am »
Someone once mentioned that there exists a PDA app that accessed the Red boxes via the serial port. Maybe someone that has it can help you out.  Or at least verify that the app actually exists.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2005, 06:19:24 am »
hmm good point.  I need to know what the settings are for that port.

That said, theres TWO serial ports on the phatbox arm  proc so it could be either one used by the palm connection.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 01:48:21 am »
BTW, you did try all different serial port settings right? EG 9600 8/N/1, 8/N/2 etc

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 01:43:37 pm »
I tried pretty much everything I think.  however the cable I made MIGHT be the problem.