Author Topic: Hacking A VW/Audio OEM -- Kenwood or other HU ?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline 242

• PhatHacker
Hacking A VW/Audio OEM -- Kenwood or other HU ?
« on: April 25, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
I am planning on using an Audi OEM phatbox in my car and am faced with a decision that I hope you will make easy for me.

I currently have an OEM VW in my wifes Bug, and I love the ease of using the numbered keys to select via playlist, genre, artist, etc... but I get the impression that this is not how the other PB's function.

Can someone flesh out for me what the differences in useability are for using different Head Units, IE different firmwares?

Is the SSA that I have read about the same thing that I am enjoying now on my OEM VW?

Obviuosly I would love to not make my own cable, so the kenwood would be the way to go... just don't want to give up the useability.

Thanks so much

-jeff

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Hacking A VW/Audio OEM -- Kenwood or other HU
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 07:51:47 pm »
If you get Kenwood with VIOT or enable the SSA functionality you'll have about the same thing, but you'll use SCAN to switch between modes instead of numbers

Offline 242

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 03:23:29 am »
If you get Kenwood with VIOT or enable the SSA functionality you'll have about the same thing, but you'll use SCAN to switch between modes instead of numbers

Thanks.... just to clear it up for me it has all the functionality, just accessed differently?

Offline timps

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:08:40 am »
I used my Audi box with an Audi headunit and then used it with a Kenwood.

Yes they are the same (Voit/SSA) just accessed differently with one slight difference, you can get the VW / Audi box to announce the song title when you press scan. This function does not exist on the Kenwood, scan just accesses the different browsing modes but this is offset by displaying text.

Also if you get the Kenwood stick on steering wheel remote it makes the process a lot easier.