Author Topic: Hmm - How did they get this?  (Read 6496 times)

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
Hmm - How did they get this?
« on: May 08, 2006, 05:49:35 pm »
http://www.unwiredview.com/2006/05/04/apples-ipod-audio-interface

How did Apple get this patent?  Does this not sound like exactly the same thing as SSA/VIOT?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Hmm - How did they get this?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:59:58 pm »
Indeed - this is very similar.

But then the US patent system does seem to allow companies to patent things that already exist, and in some cases things which are remarkably similar to thers that have already been patented by others.  It is possible that in this case there may be some subtle differences in Apple's implementation which gives it sufficient novelty value to be worthy of a seperate patent. but I don't honestly know.  As the saying goes - I am not a lawyer.  ;)

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:27:40 pm »
Well they got it because they are Apple.  What about the Honda Music Link?  http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1018?mid=2005090754437&mime=asc&archives=t

Offline az1324

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 11:55:43 pm »

Offline LloydDobler

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:06:21 pm »
According to the article, they merely applied for the patent.  If it is indeed similar to how Phatnoise did things, it can be shot down due to prior art.  If they invented it before Phatnoise did, and are granted this patent, then Phatnoise might owe them back royalties.

However, with all patents it's not what the pictures say, or what the overall concept is, it's what's in the claims.  If they claim a specific algorithm or technique, then all one would need to to do circumvent this patent is use a different algorithm or technique.  

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:25:29 pm »
That's some pretty exciting news. I've always thought if the ipods had voice navigation I may want to replace my Phatbox. Now that would all depend on how well the TTS software was.

Has anyone heard or is there a sample of the actual TTS in action for the ipods yet?
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com