Author Topic: Cartridges & Memory Sticks  (Read 7536 times)

Offline staydin

Cartridges & Memory Sticks
« on: April 22, 2005, 02:20:18 am »
Does anybody know if there are any plans for a cartridge that can play SD cards or other memory sticks? Or if it is even possible?

Offline A543

• Veteran.
Re: Cartridges & Memory Sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 11:30:02 am »
Sure it's possible.  You would need an IDE to SD interface converter inside the DMS.  But due to the slots depth and the cost of retooling for only a slightly smaller DMS shell, an SD based DMS would most likely be the same size as what we have now.
And don't forget, with a 1GB SD card running around $75.00, with Phatnoises' typical 400 percent markup, and the added cost of the interface converter, that would make a 1GB SD based DMS cost $350.00 plus a huge shipping charge (which is probably mostly a 'handling' charge a.k.a. "the eBay scam").
In other words, it's never going to happen.

Offline LindsayLohan

• A few posts under my belt.
  • I don't really hate Hilary Duff
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 12:53:55 pm »
And don't forget, with a 1GB SD card running around $75.00, with Phatnoises' typical 400 percent markup, and the added cost of the interface converter, that would make a 1GB SD based DMS cost $350.00
400% markup??  Are 100x70mm hard drives really a dime a dozen these days?  Are the cheap ones ($150 and down) even ruggedized?

plus a huge shipping charge (which is probably mostly a 'handling' charge a.k.a. "the eBay scam").
In other words, it's never going to happen.
After I read your post, I went to www.ebay.com to search for teh scam and saw a text box that said "What are you looking for?"  So I typed in "phatnoise".  I found only 33 results, but most of them were ENTIRE systems.  You usually get the main unit and a dock and a cartridge (it is a valid hard drive!).  These systems usually only cost a few hundred dollars, sometimes even less than one hundred!  Do these ebay sellers charge an exorbitant amount for the shipping and handling of my package?  That doesn't seem fair!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 02:00:36 pm »
Oh boy...

Okay, first off, you can't prove that a drive from phatnoise (other than the rubber thingys they put on the drive for extra shock absorption) are in any way better built to witstand shock than the same drive bought retail.

The major flaw in the Phatnoise's drives are ruggedized to me some higher specification is, the drives have the same model and part numbers as retail drives.  A drive manufacturer wouldn't use the same model number for a drive with a changed specification.

Second question about the Ebay scam, hes not talking about scams for the phatboxes or the drives, hes talking about Ebay shipping fees scam which phatnoise does something similar.

Handeling fees / fixed shipping fees are another way to make up money on a lower priced item on ebay.

Example, sell a $250 for a buy it now of $230 then charge an extra $20 on top of a standard shipping rate and the person still thinks they are getting a deal.

Offline LindsayLohan

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 09:46:05 pm »
Kenwood 710 Keg 10GB DMS
Toshiba MK1016GAP  HDD2152 E
Firmware: U1.14F
ID: Phatnoise 10GB DMS
I looked up the MK1016GAP drive specs for shock:
 - Operating: 1,470m/s2 (150G), 2ms half sine wave
 - Non-Operating: 6,860m/s2 (700G), 1ms half sine wave

Okay, first off, you can't prove that a drive from phatnoise (other than the rubber thingys they put on the drive for extra shock absorption) are in any way better built to witstand shock than the same drive bought retail.

The major flaw in the Phatnoise's drives are ruggedized to me some higher specification is, the drives have the same model and part numbers as retail drives.  A drive manufacturer wouldn't use the same model number for a drive with a changed specification.
OK, I really only meant that the laptop-sized hard drives have higher shock ratings than those for a vanilla desktop system.

Second question about the Ebay scam, hes not talking about scams for the phatboxes or the drives, hes talking about Ebay shipping fees scam which phatnoise does something similar.

Handeling fees / fixed shipping fees are another way to make up money on a lower priced item on ebay.

Example, sell a $250 for a buy it now of $230 then charge an extra $20 on top of a standard shipping rate and the person still thinks they are getting a deal.
This practice sounds underhanded and illegal.  You are making it sound like phatnois does something illegal.  If they are doing something illegal, shouldn't we be posting coimplaints on a law enforcement forum?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 10:10:26 pm »
Shipping and Handling fees have been around for ages.  Ever see those TV spots for Girls Gone Wild or any RonCo product?  They all mention Shipping and Handleing fees.  

Shipping fees are pretty well documented if you find out who they ship through and what method they use.. UPS Ground vs 2 day etc..  its the Handling part that is a grey area.

Sadly there does not seem to be any laws involved.  If we are dumb enough to pay for it, then yay for capatialism...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 10:10:57 pm by judb »

Offline ogrechoby

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 05:41:46 pm »
At least they might use something better than these  toshiba drives that don't want to stay running.....

And, SD doesn't "wear out" ;)

But i doubt they'd use SD... they'd use like memory sticks or something so that they could @#$# around with the magic-gate and make us buy them directly from their over-charging butts ;)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 07:43:08 pm by admin »

Offline LindsayLohan

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 07:33:44 am »
At least they might use something better than these  toshiba drives that don't want to stay running.....
They get tired.  All they want to do is take a long nap after a long jog.

And, SD doesn't "wear out" ;)
Yeah! Let me tell you, I will never get tired of San Diego ;)

they'd use like memory sticks or something
And they would, like, totally be like omg awsum.

so that they could @#$#
Did you actually write those characters or was that Paul's anti-profanity script?

make us buy them directly from their over-charging butts ;)
Do you have much expertise in dealing with butts, especially the over-charging variety? :-*

Offline slowwagon

When u don't really have anything to contribute...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 01:28:29 am »
They get tired.  All they want to do is take a long nap after a long jog.

Yeah! Let me tell you, I will never get tired of San Diego ;)

And they would, like, totally be like omg awsum.

Did you actually write those characters or was that Paul's anti-profanity script?

Do you have much expertise in dealing with butts, especially the over-charging variety? :-*

Offline LindsayLohan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 02:46:48 am »
I am sorry.  My Tourette's acts up occasionally.  I am an impatient person and I have been wishing for wiki.phathack.com because I dislike the format and content of "forums".  Forums seem to foster certain kinds of unproductive conversations.  Furthermore, you can only "push" posts onto the forum, and you never "pop" posts off the forum (it's way too static).

:-*