Author Topic: PhatBox to Music Keg conversion.  (Read 22171 times)

Offline just_z00t

PhatBox to Music Keg conversion.
« on: April 30, 2005, 09:46:29 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has experience with powering up a PhatBox or a Keg outside a car. I just got my PhatBox yesterday and I bought a VW/Audi Version but what I really want to do is install new firmware and convert it over to a Keg, but after reading through the manual it says its powered up with turning on the headunit and I dont own a VW or a Audi and would rather not risk damaging a headunit that I dont own. So what would be the correct way power this thing?  Does it need pulsed switched on? Does it have to communicate with a VW headunit to be in a state where I can install the new firmware?

what I had in mind was to apply +12v to pin 8,6 and GND to pin 3 on the VW CD Changer cable connector with a 300W PC power supply.

I would just like to make sure I dont fry my new toy in the first week I own it, so I would appreciate any ideas anyone here on the forum could offer.

Thanks, just_z00t

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: PhatBox to Music Keg conversion.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 11:05:39 am »
no promises, but as far as I know... as long as you have the DMS with the correct firmware in it before it's powered on, it won't communicate with the HU until it's reflashed itself

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 11:06:21 am »
Otherwise, you could look at the data at http://www.phathack.com and connect up the appropriate voltage to the power pins ;)

Offline image2000uk

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 09:53:54 pm »
Hi all
I have done some research into this but not sure how true this is all you need to to do is reflash the phatnoise to a keg with the kenwood firmware
available here

http://phatbox.sixpak.org/firmware/

and use a kenwood keg lead maybe someone can aclarify if this will work or not ???

Cheers

Image2000uk

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 12:44:10 am »
It worked for me.  I recently got in on that $120 VW/Audi Phatbox deal. I got an upgrade to the USB 2.0 cradle, a 20GB DMS, and I also swapped out the older Keg board (rev A) with the newer Phatbox board (rev B).  I did this because I liked the look of the Keg over the Phatbox.  And now I have a whole spare Phatbox with all peripherals.  Not too bad for $135.00 shipped!
Anyway, after swapping boards (putting the VW board in the Keg case) I just erased the new 20GB DMS and let PMM initialized it. I then went in to the firmware update section of PMM and set up the latest Kenwood firmware (don't skip that step).  I then made sure my headunit was OFF, not just the ignition, I turned the headunit off and then turned off the ignition.  When I plugged the FrankenVW/Keg box in, it updated the boards firmware without any problems.
The Keg works and plays fine.  I have a KDC-X579 headunit. I can't say it will work on any other model, but I had no problems.

Offline pvivire

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 12:30:50 am »
Has anyone else had a similar positive experience upgrading a phatbox unit with music keg firmware?

I bought one pb for my '02 jetta and another for my '97. I would prefer installing a kenwood hu in the '97 instead of a '00+ factory hu.

Also, has anyone installed a '00+ hu in a A3 jetta?

Offline RobM

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 01:34:34 am »
Also, has anyone installed a '00+ hu in a A3 jetta?

Yes, and it's extremely straightforward.

In the A3, you'll need to modify the "III" connector (the bottom-most connector with power/ground/etc.).  Alternatively you can use a forward and reverse harness to adapt the stock wiring without making any permanent modifications (sort of like an extension cable for the factory wiring harness).

Make sure pins 1, 2, and 3 don't connect to anything on the stock radio (2 and 3 shouldn't even have wires in the stock configuration).  Connect the wires for positions 4 and 5 together.  Then you can just plug in the Mk4 HU, but you'll need to run a changer cable too.

Offline pvivire

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 10:44:02 am »

Alternatively you can use a forward and reverse harness to adapt the stock wiring...

This adapter would be home made? Maybe available from Crutchfield,etc?

Offline RobM

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 12:15:39 pm »
Yes, you buy two harness pieces (the part that plugs into the car and the part that plugs into the radio) and wire them together yourself (per my instructions above).

The Metra (manufacturer) part numbers are:

70-1784 (Plugs into car)
71-1784 (Plugs into radio)

This will only fit the "single-DIN" Mk4 radios.  Crutchfield stocks the 70-1784, but finding the 71-1784 will be a little harder (TheZEB.com seems to have both but I haven't ordered from them before).

Offline pvivire

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 12:22:27 pm »
Thanks for all of the help.

Do you know of a source for reasonably priced Mk4 hu? CD changer cables?

Offline Surgeon

• Press any key to continue, any other key to exit.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 03:36:01 pm »
I ordered a VW phatbox to replace my existing 6-disc Kenwood changer in the trunk which runs into a R70FM RF modulator and then to a Nissan/Bose CD Changer. My brother, who has a Jetta and ordered one and simply plugged-it-in, has now been laughing at me for the past few weeks while I try to figure out what I need to adapt mine...

The Kenwood adapter of course has the 13-pin din cable run from the trunk to the modulator. Can someone please help me with a somewhat clear answer to the following questions:

Is it possible to order the connection cable for the phatbox to plug into the 13-pin din connection for Kenwood head-units or do I have to build my own?

If I build my own, is is possible to re-use the VW cable that came with the phatbox or am I better off ordering the bare connector from digikey and going that route?

After the adapter cable is purchased/built, what would be the correct procedure for loading the DMS with the Kenwood code prior to connecting the unit.

In lieu of all the above, is it possible to build an adapter to connect directly to the Nissan/Bose unit? I understand that this is a "special" type of adapter that is specific to the Bose units and can't be purchased (something to do with raising the signal levels?)? Anyone have any experience going that route (ie: building their own direct-to-Bose adapters)?

THANKS SO MUCH!

-Surgeon-
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 03:58:16 pm by Surgeon »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 03:47:19 pm »
I dont have the link to the site but there is a parts site that sells the kenwood keg cables you'd need.

i want to say it was pacsun or something...

Offline image2000uk

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »
Surgeon
Just go to your local dealer and ask him to oder you a Kenwood music keg lead as a spare part this is all you need

Cheers

Image2000uk

Offline pvivire

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 11:15:32 pm »
Has anyone other than A543 managed to reflash a vw PhatBox and use it with a Kenwood Head Unit?

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 07:49:01 pm »
Does anyone know the actual kenwood part number to for the Kenwood Deck -> Music Keg Cable ?

Thanks

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 09:54:18 pm »
Yep - pacsun for the cable.

$50 for the cable, and the flashover to Kenwood firmware DOES work.

You WILL lose artist/album/genre browse however.

This is also reversable at any time in the future, if desired.

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 10:29:06 pm »
I presume you mean Pacific Coast Parts (pacparts.com)

I have checked there before for the KHD-5L1 Kenwood->Phatbox cable but they never have it in stock.

I have a Kenwood KDC-MP7028 deck and would really like to get my Phatnoise going, I guess I am going to have to build a cable myself.

Crane007

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 01:42:59 pm »
I ordered one from them, it was in stock, and I had it in three days.

Keep looking - they show up.

Offline 951porsche

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 01:40:55 am »
I have one u can have for 50 shipped....

I presume you mean Pacific Coast Parts (pacparts.com)

I have checked there before for the KHD-5L1 Kenwood->Phatbox cable but they never have it in stock.

I have a Kenwood KDC-MP7028 deck and would really like to get my Phatnoise going, I guess I am going to have to build a cable myself.

Crane007

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 01:49:12 am »
951porsche I just sent you a PM.

crane007