Author Topic: 2 questions, both about a Music Keg and DDX-8017  (Read 6277 times)

Offline sparky3

• Getting the hang of things.
  • www.goldcomics. com
2 questions, both about a Music Keg and DDX-8017
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:56 am »
So, recently I bought a Kenwood DDX-8017.  It's got an amazing interface, but the Music Keg portion leaves a little to be desired.  I have a 710 Keg with a 80GB DMS by the way.  When I play music cd's or mp3 DVD's, I have an "Information" part of the menu that allows me to view the entire mp3 tags.  Boy I sure wish I could pull this information off the Keg.

Any thoughts on how to do that?  Is there any headunit that will display multiple lines of text?

#2.  There is no "hard" buttons for folder/playlist up and down, but there is ones for touchscreens.  I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase the VOIT software from phatnoise.  Anyone have it with one of these touchscreen units?  Is it worth it to buy it?

Thanks guys
Shawn

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: 2 questions, both about a Music Keg and DDX-80
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 06:41:51 am »
Assuming your tracks are properly tagged, you should be able to read the tags on the head unit.  You may need to adjust some settings in the firmware to get it to display as you want.  This is done on the DMS using the PMM software under hardware options/firmware setup/properties/list title text.  I suggest you set the value to display "Disc Text."  Then you may have to play around with the settings on your head unit.  Your head unit should be capable of displaying three lines of text from the ID3 tag.

VOIT is pretty cool, but it's not going to change the fact that you have to use the touchscreen to navigate folders/playlists.  You can also use the hard buttons on the remote (the "band" keys) to navigate.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:07:46 am »
Assuming your tracks are properly tagged, you should be able to read the tags on the head unit.  You may need to adjust some settings in the firmware to get it to display as you want.  This is done on the DMS using the PMM software under hardware options/firmware setup/properties/list title text.  I suggest you set the value to display "Disc Text."  Then you may have to play around with the settings on your head unit.  Your head unit should be capable of displaying three lines of text from the ID3 tag.

VOIT is pretty cool, but it's not going to change the fact that you have to use the touchscreen to navigate folders/playlists.  You can also use the hard buttons on the remote (the "band" keys) to navigate.

Oh, I can absolutely read the tags, and have set the software to display "disc text".  It's just not possible on these heads units to scroll more than a single line from what it views as hdd-ext or a disc changer.  It will display and scroll and incredibly long id3 tag; I'd like to see that all at once.  It works when you play a music cd or mp3 dvd; there's an option in the menu labeled "information".  All I get with the Keg in its menu is "Playlist", which is the equivalent of hitting "list".

Has anyone seen a Keg display multiple lines on any head unit?  My assumption is only scrolls a single id3 tag.

I wish I could hear from anyone with a Keg that has any of the following:  DDX-7105, DDX-7017, DDX-6019, DDX-8017.

Shawn

Offline ry4n

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:43:07 pm »
I have the DDX-6019 and am in the same boat as you. The 2 biggest gripes I have with the combination of my Keg and HU are the fact that under the menu the only option is "list" or playlists or something to that effect. Just yesterday I was wishing that I could pull up something other than artist and title from the id3. Album, year, genre would be nice. I was also wishing that there was a way to see the stats, like how many songs are on the keg and how much space is used and what is left. (I know that last part is a far fetched idea though).

The other (which I have already posted about with no luck) is regarding the situation of having more than 100 playlists (I have 1 for each artist). If I am listening to playlist number 99, and want to listen to something in 165, I need to hit playlist up until I get to playlist 101 (which then will be displayed as playlist 1) and then I can go into the playlist option in the menu and scroll down to playlist "65" which is really 165.

I have yet to find a way around either of these issues, but anyone with any ideas is surely welcome to help out
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:45:52 pm by ry4n »

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 04:58:21 pm »
Actually, I can solve one of your problems for you!  Stick your DMS in the cradle, and go to the PHATSYS drive.  In the root there is a "phatbox.ini" file that you modify.  Open it in notepad and at the top there is something like "playlist or folderlist 250=0"  (I apologize as I'm at work and I don't know the exact option).  Anyway, just set it to 1 instead of zero, save the .ini file, and RUN back out to your car (after you plug back in your DMS)

It now goes to 250.

;)

Offline ry4n

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 04:46:49 am »
Hmm, I will have to try that out tomorrow, Thanks! I wonder if there is a way to get it even higher than 250?

Offline ry4n

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 01:44:35 am »
Well that trick didn't change anything for me. Thanks for the help though.

Offline LloydDobler

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 04:39:17 pm »
Has anyone seen a Keg display multiple lines on any head unit?  My assumption is only scrolls a single id3 tag.

Shawn
I can't speak for any of the head units that you have, but some of the single DIN units will do multiple line display.  Here's one, for example.  

It's configurable to do artist, album, title, genre, or any combination of the above.  In my case I have line 1 as title and line 2 as artist/album.  I also have another unit with a 3 line display, but it limits what I can put on it.  I can't do artist album and title on individual lines, I'm limited by what the head unit allows.  I can only put title by itself on the 3rd line, and I can only couple title or album with the artist on the 2nd line.  Line 1 is restricted to genre or play time and track number.  It'd be better if it were fully customizable.  I'm not sure there's any logical reason for it not to be, other than someone being shortsighted in the firmware department. 

But the information is definitely there, not sure how to help you though.