Author Topic: Are all versions of the firmware hackable?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline thereza

• PhatHacker
Are all versions of the firmware hackable?
« on: July 07, 2006, 10:47:02 am »
As the hack seems to only change one byte (from what I've read on the wiki), I am afraid to hack my phatbox in case the version of the firmware I currently have is not the same as what the hacking cd is expecting.  Should I be concerned or not?

Secondly, I've got the audi phatbox which doesn't support any text output -- is it at all possible to ouput the track info / text via some serial connector that I could solder on or by some other means such that I could fabricate a display to view the track information?

Third - is there enough processing power left on the phatbox to do other tasks?  Are there any serial ports available for me to interface?

Thanks-
Reza

ps - are there any good recommendations on replacement drivers?  Any good sales going on?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Are all versions of the firmware hackable?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:38:33 am »
Until recently there was only ONE known version of the firmware.  The other 'firmware' that you update is the operating system and the CPLD firmware.  Volvo does seem to have a different actual firmware, and I believe I have a hack tool that will work on it.... but it just hasnt been proven to work yet

Offline ajwkappe

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:38:48 pm »
Hi, I am a Volvo Pahtbox owner as well and want to give it a shot. You say you have a patch for Volvo, can you explain where and how I should appy this during the hack process? I have downloaded the iso image 1.5.

Appreciate your help!

And late new year wishes from Amsterdam :-)

Alex

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:08:36 pm »
I have one that's been proven also...

http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/phatpatch-volvo-0.6.gz

is the verified volvo-only patcher

http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/phatpatch-0.7.gz is an untested unified volvo and normal patcher... if you want to try this one then if it doesn't work do the volvo patcher I'd appreciate it

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:10:43 pm »
Also, Sam didn't mention that if your "firmware" (really its the flash based boot loader) doesn't match what we are expecting to patch the patcher fails but doesn't corrupt flash.. it does checks on the flash contents to make sure its what we expect.  So it should be safe regardless.

Offline ajwkappe

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:39:19 pm »
Sorry guys, I have been very busy with other things the past half year. I really want to try to 'hack' the Volvo jukebox now and was just wondering if someone had proven the .7 version yet, or if a newer version has been build.

regards
Alex

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 01:02:03 pm »
Sam, is this a contender for the hack wizard?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:02 pm »
it's already all in the patch file you have and I even tested it on a volvo firmware.  So yes, send him your wizard and it should work for him.