Author Topic: replace badly corrupted hdd?  (Read 7305 times)

Offline lilcriminal

• PhatHacker
replace badly corrupted hdd?
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:45:15 am »
I have a 10 gig kenwood music keg here. It started givig me error messages and then wouldn't eject, then wouldn't load.... then finally crapped out.   I think the vibrations in the trunk may have damaged the hdd inside.

I see that it is a 2.5" 9.5mm toshiba drive.  I see them online for 50 bucks. (15gig) I see that i could easily plug in a new one.

My question is:

If I buy a new drive, say 10 or 20 gig same form factor and all... What do I need to put on this drive to make it work?

What are the partition sizes, file system?  Do I have to load some files on it like maybe something that is on the factory drive? If so, where do I get those files?  

I'm sure if you guys are talking about 160 gig drives surely it is possible to replace a measly 10 gig drive.  

Any help you guys could provide will be greatly appreciated. Hey, I may even donate to the big drive fund.

Thanks again,

Corey

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: replace badly corrupted hdd?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 04:53:38 pm »
have you already hacked your phatbox?  if it isnt you cant swap a drive thats not a phatnoise issued one

Offline lilcriminal

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 07:47:44 pm »
No I haven't. I have a MUSIC KEG not a phatbox.  

Can I swap drives on the music keg?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:25:59 pm »
a music keg is a phatbox.

yes you can hack a keg.

I suggest you do some reading around on these forums and on the wiki.

You will have to buy / borrow a phatnoise issued DMS to hack your phatbox / keg so you can use a non phatnoise hard drive.

Everything you could possibly want to know about the process is in threads here going back over a year in time.