Author Topic: Disk Clean-up  (Read 5661 times)

Offline rob_hutton

• A few posts under my belt.
Disk Clean-up
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:06:32 pm »
When I go to disk clean-up in windows it want's to compress the files, if I compress does it affect the music quality or Phatnoise accessing the files?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Disk Clean-up
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:29:24 pm »
it will either do filesystem compression in NTFS or it will put the files into .zip archives which would prevent them from being played.

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:25:15 pm »
When I go to disk clean-up in windows it want's to compress the files, if I compress does it affect the music quality or Phatnoise accessing the files?

When XP (I assume you are using XP) compresses files this way, it does lossless compression. You won't lose any quality, but it also won't really compress the files much (if any). Remember, MP3/AAC/etc. is already compressed audio. Add an MP3 to a ZIP file, and you will see that there is very little space to be gained.

Hard drives are dirt cheap - if you are running out of space, add a disk.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:09:23 pm »
In fact, in some cases, compressing a file that is already compressed will not yeild a smaller file, it will make a file that is slightly larger (by a few bytes.. its the header for the compressed archive) so be aware that zipping / raring etc a file will not always make it smaller.