Author Topic: Converting VW Phatbox to Infiniti Assistance  (Read 3075 times)

Offline DMuzik

• PhatHacker
Converting VW Phatbox to Infiniti Assistance
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:42:50 pm »
Hello, Guys.  I have performed a ton of research.  I've invested about $600 dollars and my funds for this and they are now running thin.  I have purchased a VW Phatbox, had the Infiniti SAT wiring harness installed, a cable made to replicate pinouts for communication and changed the firmware within the DMS cartridge.  It looks as though the firmware on the Phatbox updated successfully as the directions instructed when the car was turned on.  Unfortunately, I am receiving a "No Sat" reading on the radio.

The question that I have is that I've seen that the cable that Phatnoise used to provide seems to have a black box connected to the wire that had some electronics in it, is that correct?  If so, does anyone know how I may modify my current setup so that this may work.

This is just some of the information that I've read, that may be important.

"Standard line audio needs to be converted to 'differential' line audio and there needs to be a serial link w. the head-unit communcating using proprietary command sets."

Thanks for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Converting VW Phatbox to Infiniti Assistance
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:06:07 pm »
I don't think you are going to be happy. Phatnoise changed the design of the Phatbox a bit in order to support Honda/Accura/Toyota/Infinity (and a few others) headunits. These changes were NOT made to the VW/Kenwood/BMW branded Phatboxes - those are from an earlier production run, and to the best of my knowledge there were never any later production runs that included the new hardware.

I believe that the applicable term is SOL.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Converting VW Phatbox to Infiniti Assistance
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 12:08:17 am »
You could try looking for an infiniti -> kenwood sattelite radio (KNNSR) adaptor -- then you can use the kenwood firmware on the keg and it'll work