Author Topic: Help. DMS won't work in car.  (Read 7673 times)

Offline sparrell

• PhatHacker
Help. DMS won't work in car.
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:30:16 am »
I'm wondering if someone has any advice for me.

I bought a 20 gig Phatnoise last weekend. Put it in the car and it worked great. I install the software, erase the songs that were already on the DMS when I got it and start making discs to load up the card with my own music.

Everything's looking fine until I put it in my car and... nothing. I can play music from the DMS on my computer but when I put it in the car I just get "NO CD" Not cool!

When I run the DMS Doctor I'm getting a message that says that The DMS faild the system files test. The result:

FAIL: Could not find system file G:\<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"-

All other tests pass.

I searched as much as I could online but didn't really find much. I read through alot of info here but I couldn't find anything on the problem I was having. So I tried upgrading to the newer version of Music Manager. Still the same deal. So I went a step farther and tried to download the Media manager software. It took all my information and nothing. No download. I checked my visa account and nothing was taken out for the purchase.

So I called the number and only get an answering maching saying that they're having some problems and to e-mail support@phatnoise.com... Nothing yet. I don't expect anything anytime soon.

I downloaded all of the firmware for Head unit files, Player files, Daemon files and system files. But there was no instruction on what to do with it and I'm not comfortable taking a chance and messing it up beyond repair. Maybe if I knew more about programming this thing. I did browse through them all though and the file that DMS doctor says is missing is not in any of them.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some suggestions for me. This is really getting to me now.

Other info:
-Phatnoise 20 gig 2.0 USB
-Music Manager 2.30
-Windows XP with service pack 2
-2004 VW GTI with Premium VI (Monsoon) head unit

Thanks,

Scott

Offline dhuddleson

• PhatHacker
Re: Help. DMS won't work in car.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:06:20 am »
Unfortunately, I can't help you, but I have what looks to be exactly the same problem.  DMS Doctor is failing the same way.

Were you able to figure out a solution???

Similar config:
Phatnoise 20gb, etc
2003 VW Jetta wagon, standard VW radio.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:23:37 am »
DMS Doctor is failing because the program relies on an internet connection to Phatnoise, and their servers seem to be down for more than a month now.  So, the particular failure message you're getting does not indicate anything particularly wrong with your DMS.  (I get the same message and my DMS works fine.)

This is also why you haven't been able to download anything else, even the firmware updates, from Phatnoise.

To use the firmware files you downloaded, unzip all the files to your phtsys partition.  Then, carefully follow the instructions starting from page 46 of your Phatbox manual to update the firmware in your car.  See if that does not fix your problem.

If that does not work, I would also suggest using the option in Music Manager to "fix DMS database," which is found by clicking on hardware options, then to DMS database/voice prompts.  If even that does not work, post again!

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline tikiwaniki

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:32:23 am »
I'm also having this same problem. Has anyone found anything further on this? Is it possible to just get the file from someone and copy it into the PHYSYS partition?  ???

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:22 am »
Check out the new DMS Hack Tools.  I've added new options to allow you to update the firmware on a DMS using the backups of the firmware files that we have.

If you have problems after using the tools, then let me know and I'll take a look to see what's up.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline tikiwaniki

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 02:11:02 am »
Yeah actually i had downloaded the most recent firmware files but it still didn't work. Then i thought oh what the heck i'll just try disconnecting then reconnecting the cable to the head unit...just to see what'll happen. Then *poof* everything worked fine! Thanks for your help and responding by the way!  ;D

Offline jlv

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
Ah, the 'Checking for system files' in DMS Doctor just tries to download this file http://www.dailyphat.com/firmware/md5files and then it presumably checks that all the files in the PHTSYS partition match.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:50:15 pm »
DMS doctor is useless, I've never found it to tell me anything of use besides informing me that I've changed files.... that I already knew I changed.