Author Topic: Running PMM with SSA/VIOT on vista or server 2k3  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Brianjonesphoto

Running PMM with SSA/VIOT on vista or server 2k3
« on: October 26, 2006, 03:52:48 am »
I've tried installing PMM from my voit cd on my file server (win2k3) and my desktop (Vista RC2) Neither would install the ATT voice engine on anything other than win2k or XP. With the help of google and some luck I figured out a way to get it to install.

To overcome the error about incorrect OS I had to edit the msi file that briefly pop's into the program files\Phatnoise folder. To install the software on another operating system you need to open this folder as the installer is running and watch for the AT&T Labs' Natural Voices(tm) Desktop 1.2.1.msi to show up. Once it there you can replace it with the edited version of the file.

I've posted the file here www.brianjonesphotography.com/phat/ATTvoicehack.msi

After you download rename it AT&T Labs' Natural Voices(tm) Desktop 1.2.1.msi. Then file keep it handy cause you'll need it in a hurry. Just drop it in the phatnoise folder and replace the current file and everything should run automaticly for you.

Good luck.

Offline bobzed57

• PhatHacker
Re: Running PMM with SSA/VIOT on vista or server 2k3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 07:20:37 am »
Hi

Just followed your instructions and I managed to get the voice prompts happening under Vista Home Premium.  I did it a little differently in that when the prompt came up stating that other apps were about to be installed, instead of clicking OK straight away, I copied the cab file (all 300MB+) to another location, then clicked OK.  I then got the ATT software incompatibility error.  I allowed the install to complete, and then copied the cab file back to the phatnoise folder and then installed the ATT NV using the modified msi file.

I'm still using Music Manager, and it worked a treat.

Thanks

Bob Z

Offline KoVeRt

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:21:26 am »
Hi

Just followed your instructions and I managed to get the voice prompts happening under Vista Home Premium.  I did it a little differently in that when the prompt came up stating that other apps were about to be installed, instead of clicking OK straight away, I copied the cab file (all 300MB+) to another location, then clicked OK.  I then got the ATT software incompatibility error.  I allowed the install to complete, and then copied the cab file back to the phatnoise folder and then installed the ATT NV using the modified msi file.

I'm still using Music Manager, and it worked a treat.

Thanks

Bob Z

Worked like a charm! Running Vista Ult. 32-bit, no problems!  I can finally update the DMS w/ new stuff!

Offline dippdydo

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:46:49 am »
I really appreciate everything that I have learned from this forum...  Boy, I would be lost without it.  I just received a response from Phatnoise regarding the Phatbox/Media Manager and Vista.  They gave me the ftp address of ftp://phatnoise.harman.com/ and a username and password to now get the Phatnoise Media Manager software that doesn't require a code to activate it.  They also said that the Phatbox is discontinued.  They also said that the software for the voice prompts does not work on Vista, and since it is a 3rd party app, they can do nothing about it...  Doesn't sound too promising...

Anyway, I am fairly non-technical, although I was able to hack my dms cartridge before my old computer crashed and moved to a new machine with Vista...  I cannot make any sense of the instructions given on how to get the AT & T Natural Voices software installed on my Vista machine so that it works for voice prompts. 

Could someone explain the instructions that are here in a way that a non-technical person would understand?  What are the CAB files, etc?  Do I select to install the Media Manager software and have the folder open and then do this, or is it when I am installing the AT & T software?

If anyone could break it down into steps for me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Offline dippdydo

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 06:42:18 am »
Disregard my last message.  I was playing around and figured it out.  You run the Phatnoise Media Manager install, and watch for the AT & T msi file to appear in the folder.  Then replace it with the new one, then select to continue installing the other software...  Worked great.  haven't tried plugging in my dms cartridge yet, but the install went without any errors.

Thanks!