Author Topic: BMW "CD Check" - DMS troubleshooting  (Read 3764 times)

Offline ckendall

BMW "CD Check" - DMS troubleshooting
« on: March 23, 2007, 04:42:38 pm »

I have a BMW E39 2002 with a DSP system and a Phatbox with a hacked 80 GB hard drive which has worked flawlessly for over a year.  This week I decided to wipe my DMS and load it up with my new library.  I have done this before with no problem.  But this time, when I load the DMS, I get a continuous CD Check on the head unit.  There was no light showing on the Phatbox or any indication of activity until I unplugged and replugged the Blitzsafe.  Now when I first insert the DMS, I get a red and very brief green light followed by a continuous red light that stays on until I removed the DMS.  DMS doctor showed problems but after reinstalling the BMW driver on the disk using PMM everything looks fine to DMS doctor.  But the DMS still still doesn't work in the Phatbox.  Everything looks fine in PMM.

Does this sound like a DMS driver issue or is my hacked Phatbox now not recognizing the DMS for some reason.  Should I reinstall my old 40G drive and see if that works?  Or does this sound like a Phatbox issue.

Of course I am getting no response from Phatnoise.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: BMW "CD Check" - DMS troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:11:03 pm »
Constant Red light = power on
Green light = hdd access or errors

Green light off probably means it booted up but isn't playing for some reason... try making a bootload.log and perhaps replacing your rc.sh with one of the debug files from rc_pairs.zip from downloads.phathack.com...  that could tell something.

Generally, when something like that happens you can also fix it by deleting EVERYTHING in PHTSYS and reloading the fireware for your HU followed by of course reconfiguring it and adding some songs in PMM

Offline ckendall

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:26 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure I understand the bootload.log etc.  But I'll try to find this on the site search.

By deleting EVERYTHING (in caps), in the PHTSYS, do you mean everything I can see or are there files I can't see that somehow have to be deleted..?  Also, by reloading firmware do you mean unzipping the downloaded files into PHTSYS or using PMM to add the drivers?

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant on this, but the disk upgrade via the CD went amazingly well last year and was so automatic, I didn't have to really understand what was going on :).

Thanks again,

Ken

Offline ckendall

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:45:48 pm »
All working now.  I just went ahead and used the repair disk to reformat and reinitialized in PMM and loaded up.  Gotta love the repair/hack disk.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:28:53 pm »
Glad it worked out for you -- you should have also been fine just deleting everything you could see, but it never hurts to format too ;)