Author Topic: Trade wanted: My Phatbox LE for your Audi Phatbox  (Read 6920 times)

Offline APD

Trade wanted: My Phatbox LE for your Audi Phatbox
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:40:14 am »
I just upgraded to RNS-E (Audi Navigation system) but my Phatbox Limited Edition is incompatible with the latest Audi firmware which has support for the RNS-E.  It is in virtually new condition and works perfectly fine with firmware version 6.x.  I simply need the newer hardware that supports firmware version 7.x.  If you want to see the firmware change log, go to http://phatbox.sixpak.org/firmware/.

Does anyone out there have an official Audi Phatbox that they'd be willing to trade straight up for my LE?

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Trade wanted: My Phatbox LE for your Audi Phat
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:08:14 pm »
That's very strange. It was my understanding that the AUDI Phatbox didn't have any hardware changes from the LE, other than removing the RCA jacks. It wasn't until the Honda/Toyota/etc. versions that they changed the hardware. Your LE _should_ work.

Offline APD

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:33:58 pm »
I assumed that would be the case but after several futile attempts at upgrading the firmware I contacted Phatnoise.  They confirmed that the LE is incompatible with 7.x firmware.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:56:04 am »
Fixed track change bug with radio type E. Fixed audible resume bug. Fixed minor letter seek bug. Supports AAC decoder

Above is the extent of the changelog from 6 to 7, and the HU support listed is identical.  Is there anything in there you actually need from version 7?   I do have an Audi box but it would be a pain to trade and I don't understand how those minor changes could require new hardware.    What does it DO with firmware version 7 loaded?  Can you get a logfile of it trying to run?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 12:58:29 am »
Of course if you do want to trade and pay shipping both ways from hawaii I guess I can -- it could be interesting to see if there really are any hardware differences between the two. (I have two Audi boxes -- bought for spare parts and toying with etc)

Offline APD

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 03:23:35 pm »
As far as I can tell, 6.x does not support radio type T so I can't properly navigate the Phatbox menus via the Audi RNS-E head unit.  The feature menu options go from "Select radio type S" to "Randomize all mode".

Past attempts at loading 7.x appeared successful initially.  The lights turn on and off as expected, exactly as they do when loading earlier versions.  However, when the radio is turned on after loading the firmware it displays "CD 1" but does not play music and does not respond to any input via the head unit.  I should mention that this was attempted using the Symphony II that came with my car -- well before I installed RNS-E.

I would be willing to attempt boot logging if you don't mind walking me through it.  Your input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:58:56 pm by APD »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:17:18 pm »
http://downloads.phathack.com/bushing/rc_pairs.zip

get the above zip, then replace your rc.sh and rc.sig with the one in the "Level10" directory.   Start it up and see what happens, then there will be a logfile.txt in your PHTSYS.  Post it somewhere or email it to me.  You can then put back the "Level0" rc.sh
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 07:17:53 pm by sbingner »

Offline APD

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 01:56:58 am »
Oh good, the forum is back.  Thanks for the debug files.  I will attempt another firmware upgrade and get back to you with the results ASAP.

Offline APD

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 02:16:26 am »
Finally got around to another firmware upgrade attempt with the verbose debug files you provided.  Please CYM!