Author Topic: Windows based DMS / Phatbox Hack (HackCD replacement thread)  (Read 91618 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Windows based DMS / Phatbox Hack (HackCD replacement thread)
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:52:12 am »
We have replaced the hackCD with a new set of scripts, linked below, for you to use on your PC (windows 2000 or XP should work)

If you have a Linux / UNIX system these scripts will work for you too we expect with very little change since they are based on shell scripts front ended by bat files for windows... please open a separate thread on Linux usage if you want support, don't clutter this thread up with that.

The steps to hack your phatbox are documented here:
http://wiki.phathack.com/Windows_Hack_Procedure
This wiki article has the consolidated information from this whole thread.

***I STRONGLY SUGGEST EVERYONE HACK THEIR PHATBOX ASAP***
This is so that WHEN your DMS fails you can just create a new one instead of paying for one from phatnoise.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:43:36 pm by judb »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Hack CD Woes - Good News!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:18:05 am »
Please read this ENTIRE POST before you download the patcher.
Here are two links to the file:

http://downloads.phathack.com/judb/dmsutils-v1.2.1.exe
http://judb.phathack.com/files/dmsutils-v1.2.1.exe

This will extract into a new folder called dmsutils..
There are several batch files in there that you will want to run for various tasks.

-----
backupdms.bat - Does a Backup of your DMS prior to running a hack or building a new DMS.
DMShack.bat - applies the hack files to your original phatnoise DMS.  Only good for a working drive.
patchclean.bat - removes the hack files from your original DMS and returns it to normal.
DMSfilecopy.bat - run after you do a patchclean.bat if you want to put some updated tools and kernel on your drive.  also works on hacked DMS drives.

*** DONT USE NEWDMS.BAT ON PHATNOISE ORIGINAL DMS DRIVES!!!!***
newdms.bat does not build your drive with the private area keys or partition offsets, its not needed with the updated hacks.
*** DONT USE NEWDMS.BAT ON PHATNOISE ORIGINAL DMS DRIVES!!!!***
newdms.bat - Creates a new DMS for you, or rebuilds a DMS.  Extracts phtsys files that were backed up to start seeding of a new DMS.
-----

Lastly, extract and run these scripts from a local drive, like your boot drive (c: for example), don't extract them to your DMS and then want to know why the scripts quit working. :)

Here is a link to the wiki page with instructions that should help everyone out.
http://wiki.phathack.com/Windows_Hack_Procedure
Please read that whole article BEFORE starting and read it as you go.  Don't hurry, read the prompts from the scripts and everything should work out fine.

Before posting a reply, please read this whole thread to see if your question is already answered.  The issues that have come up since release are covered in the thread and the wiki article for the most part.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:20:47 am by sbingner »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 04:25:44 am »
I would much prefer if we could someday build this into a win32 app instead of having to push out a bunch of files like this.  if anyone wants to try and help me do this I would appreciate the assistance.  (mostly don't know how to front end diskpar / diskpart or accomplish the same thing in VB / C# etc.)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 04:42:09 am »
ATTENTION: Volvo users!!

If you have trouble patching your phatbox, you will likely need to download this file:
{Removed, new patcher has both boxes fixes consolidated}
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:32:37 pm by judb »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:50:35 am »
I would much prefer if we could someday build this into a win32 app instead of having to push out a bunch of files like this.  if anyone wants to try and help me do this I would appreciate the assistance.  (mostly don't know how to front end diskpar / diskpart or accomplish the same thing in VB / C# etc.)

I'll have a look at doing this in PhatHack Media Manager, and incorporate it into the DMSManager class.
Judging by the looks of the scripts, it looks like most of it should work fine directly coded into an application.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »
VorTechS, the other option might be some buttons that you can push that launch the bat files in command prompt windows and we just build an installer package that extracts into a sub folder of the PHMM package directories...  That way its pretty easy to maintain in bat form until I learn enough VB.net :)

Offline poptartking

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:19:31 pm »
I've noticed a few errors in these scripts, I don't think this will be working on any OS...

I'll try to take some notes and be more specific.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:51:10 pm »
Sure,  There were portions that I couldn't verify myself since I no longer have a box that isn't hacked, however the scripts do properly recreate my DMS on my workstation.  Let me know what you see and I'll try to replicate the issue and fix it.

Offline poptartking

• PhatHacker
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:41:02 pm »
DMShack.sh:

Check lines 94 & 99 (wrong filename)

also, on my particular XP install, this script appears to set ${PHTSYS} and ${PHTDTA} to the same drive letter (lines 80 & 81?).  Copying Profiles.ini fails.

I am by no means a scripting wiz, but thats what I got.  I realize I said 'these scripts', but this is the only one I dug around in.

I take it you haven't written a script to 'unhack' a box?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:44:54 pm by poptartking »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 11:07:04 pm »
when you say unhack a box.. do you mean return the flash based bootloader to the factory settings where you have to have a phatnoise DMS to operate it, or do you mean remove the hack files from your DMS?

If you mean removing the files, its patchclean.bat.

If you mean restoring the flash, that is not currently possible..

I have updated the files to v1.0.1 and v1.1.1 ... so please give those a shot.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:15:24 pm by judb »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Windows based HackCD replacement thread!
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 04:02:05 pm »
Thanks to poptartking the scripts have been updated again and are now at 1.0.2 and 1.1.2 ...

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 05:45:04 pm »
I'm giving this a try.  Does this include sbinger's patch.sh  or does that have to be run seperately?

I thought I had my box patched, but now it is in a loop, and wont recognize the unit.  I ran patchclean, and DMSfilecopy.  I might try to install first, and if it doesn't work, then try DMShack.bat

If I can get this working I just may not sell it! ::)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 05:58:41 pm »
Anton, I have discovered an issue with these patches that I think may be the cause of many people's issues and am currently trying to fix it.  I would hold off for the moment..  I hope to have something done by tonight.  It's snowing in Austin TX and that doesn't happen often so I am getting to sit at home with little to do. :)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 04:30:16 am »
Okay, the fourth release of these scripts has been done.  I am 99.9% sure that this will fix most every user who has a new DMS that wont work in a hacked box and an old DMS that does work.. and new users should be good to go if they follow directions.

I've disabled the LBA48 kernel deployment as its caused some issues with the script I think.  you can download the file from http://downloads.phathack.com/sbingner/ if you really need it.

As always YMMV and please let me know if you have issues.

If you already ran the hack but want to fix a new drive up, just run the newdms.bat and then when it's done you'll have to load your firmware onto the phtsys partition and start copying music.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 01:50:40 pm »
I found v1.1.3 only at savageguild, not downloads/phathack.

I have issues with neither orig or hack DMS working.  although just a short while back the orig worked fine.  SHould I start with the hack again, or just try patchclean.bat, and then plug in?

-Anton

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 02:56:14 pm »
Try the patchclean script on the original DMS.  check the log directory though and look for the patchverify.log and make sure everything says VERIFIED!

The newdms script will need to be run to wipe your new drive and rebuild it.. but it should work after that.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 05:43:46 pm »
Anton, find me in IRC when I'm there and I can try to help you out...

irc.freenode.net / #PhatHack

Offline beckfield

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 05:12:58 pm »
Here are two links to the file:

http://downloads.phathack.com/judb/dmsutils-v1.0.3.exe
http://judb.phathack.com/files/dmsutils-v1.0.3.exe

Jud,

Hi, I'm new to the forum.  I'm cautiously preparing to build a DMS, and I downloaded your package and ran the backupdms script.  It reports that it cannot find my PHTSYS or PHTDTA volumes.

I'm on a system with the following characteristics:

P4
Windows 2000 Professional, all service packs and updates
2 physical HDDs, C:, D: and G:
2 CD/DVD drives, E: and F:
PHTSYS gets H:, PHTDTA gets I:

Steps:
1.  The script is executed without the DMS connected.
         ***Scanning Currently Connected Disks***
         backupdms.sh: command not found: diskpart [21]
         backupdms.sh: command not found: diskpart [22]

2.  DMS is connected as instructed, H: and I: appear.  Press Enter.
         ***Rescanning Connected Disks***
         backupdms.sh: command not found: diskpart [33]
         ***Rescan Complete***
         backupdms.sh: command not found: diskpart [36]
         ***Determining if new DMS drive is seen***
         Error: multiple or no new drives detected.  Restarting Script.

Do you have any ideas?  Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Offline beckfield

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 05:15:25 pm »
One further bit of info, just to be complete.

I did use the backupdms.bat file, so the folder was added to the Path statement.

Thanks,
Ken

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:55:32 pm »
where did you extract the files to?  I ran my tests with the scripts extracted to c:\dmsutils

I also suggest that you run the bat file from the command prompt instead of through explorer.  diskpart should be in the windows\system32 folder as it is included with windows XP, not with our scripts...