Author Topic: "Upgrading" to 3.92 from 2.30  (Read 8148 times)

Offline garypen

"Upgrading" to 3.92 from 2.30
« on: March 06, 2007, 02:42:21 am »
I've read some of the posts where people are having trouble installing PMM 3.92. But, most aren't very clear to me. So, forgive if my question has been answered before.

First, the basic info about my situation: I just got a Kenwood PhatBox, installed the software from the disc, then downloaded 2.30 from the Phat website, and installed it.

I've already used 2.30 to catalog a bunch of music on my hard drive. I've also managed to create add'l discs on the DMS, and copy over songs from the one disc that the previous owner had to the new discs I created.  (I did make the mistake of moving some folders on the DMS via Explorer, as I mentioned in another thread. But, I think I've got a handle on that.)

But, I am getting some errors when trying to move some m4a files. I am wondering if the newer 3.92 software is able to handle these formats better. Also, I like the looks of the interface better, according to the pics on the website.

Will 3.92 perform an upgrade installation, removing the older version's files first, like 2.30 did? Or, will it install to a new directory, ignoring the older version? Also, I never had to enter any kind of serial keys when installing the original version, or the 2.30 upgrade. Will 3.92 ask for a serial key? (The posts I've read seem to indicate it will.) If so, where would I find it?

Thanks.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: "Upgrading" to 3.92 from 2.30
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:09:34 am »
the 3.x versions are called Phatnoise Media Manager and install in a sperate directory.  You shouldn't run into a big problem with it I'd expect.

m4a is better supported in the 3.x versions too.

Offline garypen

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:31:15 am »
Thanks. I've installed it, no problem. I notice that it doesn't retain any of the Music Manager "Discs".

Also, Will the free Basic version handle m4a files OK? Or, do I need to pay for the Plus Upgrade?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:28:38 am »
To support (as in encode) m4a you'll have to pay.  But if you already have m4a playback enabled in your box, then I think you could encode using iTunes for example and save yourself the hassle of trying to deal with Phatnoise.  Just use PMM to manage the playlists.  If m4a playback is not yet enabled in the Phatbox and you need it, then you have no choice but to pay for the upgrade.  Since Phatnoise seem not to be interested in supporting the product much these days, that may be difficult.

Offline garypen

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:43 pm »
The m4a files are playing OK in the car, it seems. But, 3.92 won't play them on the PC. It will, however, move them, which 2.30 wouldn't do. So, that's a good thing. I don't know if the Basic version will rip CD's directly to the DMS Playlists, though. I have a feeling I will have to use some other ripper to the hdd, then use PMM to copy to the Playlists.

On the bright side, at least I was able to install it in Registered basic mode, not Trial mode, as some people seem to get stuck with, or so it seems from other posts.

BTW, I noticed that 3.92 did NOT recognize changes made to the DMS in 2.30. Yet, 2.30 recognized changes made by 3.92. Is that normal?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 07:39:21 pm »
The m4a files are playing OK in the car, it seems. But, 3.92 won't play them on the PC. It will, however, move them, which 2.30 wouldn't do. So, that's a good thing. I don't know if the Basic version will rip CD's directly to the DMS Playlists, though. I have a feeling I will have to use some other ripper to the hdd, then use PMM to copy to the Playlists.

On the bright side, at least I was able to install it in Registered basic mode, not Trial mode, as some people seem to get stuck with, or so it seems from other posts.

If you installed 3.92 over an original CD installed version and you got it registered OK, you should be able to rip to MP3, WMA, FLAC, etc, and it should play those too, but not the AAC files.  Good that it is able to move the m4a files around though.

BTW, I noticed that 3.92 did NOT recognize changes made to the DMS in 2.30. Yet, 2.30 recognized changes made by 3.92. Is that normal?

Sorry - I couldn't comment - I haven't used Music Manager in anger - I could never get on with it.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 07:47:47 pm »
As far as I recall, there were some database changes between 2.30 and 3.92 which are triggered on startup of 3.92.

Making changes in 2.30 may not complete the DMS database as fully as 3.92 is expecting, and that probably explains why you can't see them in 3.92.

That's just my educated guess being an SQL Server database developer....so there might be another explanation.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline garypen

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »
Sorry - I couldn't comment - I haven't used Music Manager in anger - I could never get on with it.
It's pretty ugly. That's for sure.