Author Topic: DMS Firmware, Options-Advanced Question  (Read 8012 times)

Offline DON3k

DMS Firmware, Options-Advanced Question
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:50:37 pm »
In the Update DMS Firmware section of PMM, there's a button labeled Options/Advanced. Under this, several models of Phatnoise units are listed.

My question is, I have a Kenwood KHD-CX910, but under this section, the unit selected is Phatnose Car Audio System Original. Now, if I scroll-down the list, there is the CX910 listed, but when I select this, I get the following warning:

Phatnose recommends AGAINST changing the selected product unless specifically directed by Phatnoise Tech Support.

By Reprogramming the Product for another radio, you risk serious damage to the car player. Are you sure you want to select this product?

Now, changing this to the actual unit I have would seem to be the thing to do, but I'm just not sure if I should. I had updated the Firmware on the device to the latest Kenwood Head Unit firmware (which is back from 2004) and I never went into this menu to notice that the wrong(?) unit was selected for the Keg itself.

Is this the normal default unit that's listed? Should it be on the Phatnose Car Audio System Original, because maybe they've integrated the basic feature set across all models?

Anyone have any info about this? What exactly does this setting adjust or control? Should I change this to the actual model I have?

----
DON3k

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: DMS Firmware, Options-Advanced Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:53:52 pm »
A couple of questions:

1) Did you patch your box?
2) Which version of PMM

I have the same thing, and it may be related to the patch in which case I would say [for now] leave it as it is.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:53:51 pm »
PMM frequently does that.  it is no big deal.  if you program you box with the wrong firmware it is still possible to program it again with the correct firmware.  This controls some features that are enabled in the options dialogs for the DMS like plugins etc. 

Offline DON3k

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:46:53 pm »
Nope, it's just a standard CX910 with an original cart / DMS. I recently replaced my dead 710 with the 910 (The Cart and the 710 were destroyed in a rear-end collision) with a used CX910/Cart, so the 1st thing I did was make sure the firmware was up-to-date. So, I installed the latest PMM 3.92 and went thru the firmware update, selecting Kenwood firmware, then inserting and letting the Keg update itself. It seems to be working fine since, and all seems well controlling it via my Kenwood head unit.

However, later I just happened to be looking at the Properties on the Kenwood firmware screen in PMM when I saw this Options/Advanced button, and checking there I saw that it's set for the model I mentioned, rather than the CX910...

So, any clue as to why this is this way, why it seems to work fine, and is there any point in changing this item?

-----
DON3k

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 08:27:37 am »
PMM is lying to you, I'm sure you have the right firmware on it... it just defaults to that... ignore the warning