Author Topic: WANTED: New hack process testers  (Read 16438 times)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
WANTED: New hack process testers
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:20:47 pm »
We think we now have the new hack process working as we need, and sbingner has tested an EXACT image of my DMS prior to running the hack on 3 separate boxes.

We are therefore now looking for a cross-section of people to help us in a controlled test of the new hack process with a private release of a new PhatHack Media Manager build next week.

We are particularly interested in people using older versions of the hack [pre v0.8] and especially anyone who has not yet run the hack.  This is not a pre-requisite though, the hack should still run irrelevant of the current version.

Technical expertise is NOT required, but you must be a user of Microsoft Windows [Vista should be supported, but has not yet been tested] with a working DMS cradle, and have appropriate rights to install an application on your PC.

If you are willing to take part in the test, please reply to this thread - or provide me with an appropriate e-mail address to contact you on via private message.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: WANTED: New hack process testers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:37:49 am »
For those who are concerned about the requirement to download PhatHack Media Manager, I have now also made this available as an installable stand-alone hack tool.

Don't be shy!

Thanks to those that have already volunteered!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:06:42 pm »
I'd love to but I've been out of town for a couple months and didn't bring my USB cradle. I kind of feel bad because I remember that I was going to help you out with the static voice prompts but didn't because I left town right around that time.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline ccobka

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 08:46:34 pm »
I can test but not sure I'll be successful since i wasn't able to get my 60GB drive to ever work in my phatbox.

can be reached at vladkotik@gmail.com
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:50:00 pm by ccobka »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:43:26 pm »
Well, we got your box patched - now to just get the drive working!

I just ran the patch myself, and can confirm that it successfully ran on my CX910.
I did however have to disconnect the box from power, wait 30 seconds, and then re-connect the box with the DMS still inserted before it worked.

But it did work! :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:36:05 am »
Bah, spotted a bug in the new patch process!

After a successful patch, and successful verification of the patch - it's installing the PhatNoise startup sound instead of the PhatHack custom startup sound.

;D

Offline Dirtboy

• Dirtboy
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 10:51:33 am »
I'll try it. :)

Offline apoteq

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 05:08:27 am »
I can try it too. I have an audi/vw phatnoise. I have used the DMS hack v. 1.5 boot disc to create three new 120GB DMS cartridges in the past. I can redo any or all of them to test it out. Been meaning to reorganize all my music anyway.

Offline syscon7

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 12:46:22 pm »
I could give it a shot. I have a virgin DMS and Phatbox (VW) that I can try it on. I've used the dmsutils hack process on two other boxes and got them to work.

syscon7

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:34:50 am »
I have a new 160GB Seagate drive arriving next week - so count me in.  :)

(Box is hacked, but getting the new drive set up using the new tool rather than by hand as I did it last time could be worthwhile).

Les.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 02:45:45 pm »
I have yet to complete the work on the new drive tool.
At present testing is limited to the hacking of the boxes only.

However, the new drive tool will be able to run independantly of the Hack Wizard.

I'll let everyone know when the drive tool is ready! :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »
For those keeping a close eye on this, I'm still working on the replacement for NewDMS.bat.  I've had to revert to C++ because this kind of thing can't be done in C#, and I couldn't get it working in C#.

My current process is able to create two new partitions on the disk [Primary Fat32, and Extended Fat32] I'm just struggling to find a way to format them.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:15:09 pm »
you, as far as I know, can't format them using the windows API since there are limits on fat32 to 32 gigs or below in size using XP and Vista..

You'll need to have shell calls and bundle the same formatting utility that we are using, or import the source for it because i believe it is open sourced code.

mkdosfs.exe is what we've used in the scripts.  it should not be too hard to include it and just shell execute that command right?

Offline gumbyandpokie999

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »
Anything that will get my drive working ,I'll try -

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 08:52:48 am »
Work still progresses with the NewDMS.bat replacement - and I'm pleased to say that I finally have the new DMS partitioned and formatted correctly.

I'm just working on the PhtSYS/PhtDTA file transfer process, and will need to add in an option to select the destination firmware [so that you can use the utility for multiple drives and multiple destinations] without having to use our beloved PhatNoise Media Management software.

So again, we'll be looking for testers specfically for this process when it's ready which should be by next weekend.  As usual if you can spare some time to test this with a blank, or pre-formatted DMS the help will be welcomed!

gumbyandpokie999: Please send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the last release of the hack.

Offline neo82

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 08:02:16 am »
Work still progresses with the NewDMS.bat replacement - and I'm pleased to say that I finally have the new DMS partitioned and formatted correctly.

I'm just working on the PhtSYS/PhtDTA file transfer process, and will need to add in an option to select the destination firmware [so that you can use the utility for multiple drives and multiple destinations] without having to use our beloved PhatNoise Media Management software.

So again, we'll be looking for testers specfically for this process when it's ready which should be by next weekend.  As usual if you can spare some time to test this with a blank, or pre-formatted DMS the help will be welcomed!

gumbyandpokie999: Please send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the last release of the hack.

I sent you a PM, but if you'd like further assistance testing this, I should be setup by this weekend.

Offline madj42

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 08:21:42 pm »
Could I get a copy of this?  I sent you a PM about this as well.

Offline MacDaddy

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:11:25 pm »
We think we now have the new hack process working as we need, and sbingner has tested an EXACT image of my DMS prior to running the hack on 3 separate boxes.

We are therefore now looking for a cross-section of people to help us in a controlled test of the new hack process with a private release of a new PhatHack Media Manager build next week.

We are particularly interested in people using older versions of the hack [pre v0.8] and especially anyone who has not yet run the hack.  This is not a pre-requisite though, the hack should still run irrelevant of the current version.

Technical expertise is NOT required, but you must be a user of Microsoft Windows [Vista should be supported, but has not yet been tested] with a working DMS cradle, and have appropriate rights to install an application on your PC.

If you are willing to take part in the test, please reply to this thread - or provide me with an appropriate e-mail address to contact you on via private message.

Just placed an order for a new 120GB WD120OVE and was lurking the site in preparation for upgrade.  If you still need another tester, I'm willing to give it a try.  Email is ranman at houston dot rr dot com.
Win XP SP2
Original 20GB Phatbox - BMW firmware 9.0
USB 1.1 cradle (ouch)

Onward through the fog.

Offline colinswiftuk

• PhatHacker
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 08:41:44 am »
Hi, Im willing to try both of mine. Got a Kenwood Keg with 10Gb DMS never hacked, with a new 100Gb ready and waiting. Also got a Phatnoise for my Audi with a 20Gb DMS.....Again with a 100Gb drive ready to go.

Let me know if you need me to test.

Regards....

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 09:39:53 am »
Please PM me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the list.
We are getting close to a full beta roll out of the latest tools!

[Just a few minor things need ironing out]