Author Topic: AAC plug-in with hacked box / big DMS  (Read 5599 times)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
AAC plug-in with hacked box / big DMS
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »
Hi All,

I have been searching around a lot but haven't found a definitive answer to my problem.  I cannot get AAC working with a 160 gig DMS.

I have a hacked VW Phatbox (running Volvo firmware). I also have a legitimate code etc for the AAC plug-in.  Some how, after a bit of poking around, I got this to work (18 months ago) such that I could play AAC files quite happily on my non-original 80 gig DMS. Unfortunately I don't know exactly how I got it to work back then.  I don't use AAC much except for books where it saves a lot of space over FLAC (which I use for music).  I now have a 160 gig DMS (using Seagate Momentus drive) and working with Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92, but only for FLAC playback.  I cannot get AAC to work at all. I have tried re-loading firmware, reinstalling the plugin, reinstalling using the orginal 20 gig DMS, etc, etc, and basically jumped through more hoops than I can count, but I just cannot get it to work.  >:(

So what have I missed? I still have an original DMS if that helps, and I have backups of just about everying.

I can re-code 100 book CDs to MP3 / WMA if I have to, but I much prefer to leave them as AAC due to compatibility with other players and to avoid proliferating too many formats in my library.

All help gratefully accepted...

Les.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:35:41 pm by S80_UK »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: AAC plug-in with hacked box / big DMS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »
simplest way is get the new DMS utility vortechs wrote... I got him to make that work in it as well ;)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:46:20 am »
simplest way is get the new DMS utility vortechs wrote... I got him to make that work in it as well ;)

Correction, it wasn't written when you posted, although I think I'm just about done now! [Taking Vista out of the equation]

I've now added:

- Full logging to New DMS creation
- The AADEC/plugins hack and exec.ini modifications
- Updated phatwma files

The unknown at present is an issue that jud found where the tool was not copying the LBA kernel onto a drive > 127 GB.  I only have a 60 GB drive, and the tool is doing what it is meant to from that point of view.

Hopefully the logging might help us spot why this might be.

If you are up for a bit of Alpha testing Les, I can send you a link to the new build once I've got the installer patched up...?

The only other issue that remains will be requiring to start the DMS with an old version of PMM to get the DMS recognised by later versions.

It would be useful if I could get someone to run the tool, fire up the old PMM, create a single playlist [consisting of PhatHack.mp3] and send me a copy of all the files that get modified/created.  I could then have the new tool dump these files onto the DMS, and we'd automatically have a DMS usable from the latest versions of PMM.  Or just send me a copy of this old version of PMM and I'll do it myself as I have a clean DMS to play with :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 01:06:51 pm »
yeah well send me the updated version and i'll send you a diff of the drive with the modified files.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 01:10:32 pm »
I tried and gmail bounced it! ;)

Same link as previous e-mails... DMSHackTools.zip
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)