Author Topic: Does the USB cradle work on Vista 64-Bit??  (Read 5872 times)

Offline APOLLOSTEES

Does the USB cradle work on Vista 64-Bit??
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »
I just got a nice new PC and I am lovin' it. But, I big problem my Phatnoise USB cradle will not function. :'(

Vista sees it and trys to install it, but it can't. Of course Kenwood's lame site does even have the word Vista on it.

I know I'm not the only one to have this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Offline APOLLOSTEES

Re: Does the USB cradle work on Vista 64-Bit??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 02:56:42 am »
Maybe I should rephrase and be more specific. I have the KHD-USB1 cradle, I know the current ISD Driver does not work with Vista 64-Bit. My OS will not allow it into the Kernel.

I was wondering if there is some alternative.

Does anyone else have Vista 64-Bit? What's been your solution? Is there any?

I'm dying to got some new music on my DMS.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:08:03 am »
The simplest solution is to buy a USB 2.0 cradle, there are usually a few knocking around on Ebay.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:14:45 am »
Even better solution... don't use Vista...

I'm doing my best to get people to not use it, but apparently it's just not enough...

Offline APOLLOSTEES

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »
I really appreciate the help.

I have to admit though it's a really CHEAP!! company that does not update their hardware to be compatible with the most current OS.

I know some people don't like Vista, but, that's really irrelevant. It's here and it's not going anywhere. You can't buy a new machine with any other OS. (Unless it's a MAC) I'm not trying to start a XP vs. Vista thread either, guess I'm just venting.

I know one thing that's sad though, The PHATNOISE product itself has all but been completely overshadowed by the iPod. Now with the company making foolish decisions, such as not releasing drivers for the latest OS, there really going to put the nail in there own coffin.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 03:30:28 pm »
I think perhaps you, like many folks, don't understand.  Phatnoise doesn't write drivers for the USB Cradle.. the people who make the chip that the cradle uses for USB to IDE are the people who are not updating drivers for a chip they released 6 or 7 years ago.

Phatnoise has little to no leverage to make a driver release a priority because:
a. they have no volume of shipments of product because they got bought out and have no current product to produce in quantity.
b. like you mention the ipod is rather ubiquitous in the market place and in the car audio arena it is taking off like wild fire.

But to say that Vista 64 support is a priority is fairly laughable.  if you follow vista news the overall reception of the product has been terrible.  Microsoft has back tracked and made XP available for sale via OEM's again which they've never done before.  And they recently announced a roll back option for installing XP on machines with Vista sold on them.

Offline Jaimelobo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:59:49 pm »
Not to wander too far OT here, but a slight correction.

XP has always been available since Vista's release, most manufacturers simple choose not to sell it. My company has purchased numerous Windows XP PC's from Dell Small Business since Vista's release. I believe HP has offered XP as well if you went through their business web site.

The recent announcement from MS is just concerning the "downgrade" option as mentioned, but it has always been available installed on "some" OEM system, or just to puchase as software only if you were building your own system.
James

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 03:25:19 am »
as i understand it there were several OEMs that didn't provide it for non business accounts.  they switched to vista only for a period of time.  I could be mistaken but I am pretty sure I'm not. I'm not in the searchy mood to find any supporting articles but I am pretty sure I read about it somewhere.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 05:34:17 am »
If we can get some chip instructions somehow, I'd give writing Vista drivers a bash, as PhatPartition [used in the new DMS tools] is practically a kernel driver I've got a good idea how to make these things work.

(You should have seen the BSODs I managed to generate with it!)

I'm sure I've come across the proper manufacturer name in the USB drivers somewhere, I'll try and dig it out and see what information I can find... if any.

I highly doubt there'll be anything I can do, but it's worth a bash.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 07:14:12 am »
[root@server ~]

^^ bash

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 07:47:01 am »
*thwap*

^^ another type of bash ;)