Author Topic: Can someone help with problem of setting up Kenwood KHD-C710 & KVT-920DVD please  (Read 6754 times)

Offline DaveBoulden

I have just bought a Kenwood Music Keg off of eBay. It's a C710 and came with a 10Gb DMS cartridge and an ISD USB1.1 cradle.

The catridge seemd to be completely borked... it took windows about 25 minutes just to mount the drive into the file system. I eventually gave up on that drive and swapped it for a 12Gb Fujitsu drive I happened to have spare.

I have used the latest PhatHack DMS Tools (v2.9) and have used it to set-up the new drive. I used the create new DMS option, chose Kenwood Firmware v13.01. I also ticked the "Refflash box with firmware" and "Install SSA/VIOT" check boxes. It possibly makes no difference but using PMM v3.9.2, I set the "no of Kenwood Digits" value to "1" and set the "Display 250 tracks" value to "off". The "Installed Firmware" properties dialog in PMM Tools also reports that "The PhatNoise DMS is not currently set-up for any head unit." I am able to look at all directories and files in the PHTSYS and PHTDATA partitions. PMM3.9.2 quite happily uploads new MP3's onto the DMS.

In my car, the C710 is connected to the Hide-away receiver portion of my KVT-920DVD via the supplied cable to the "TO 5L I/F" socket (which rather strangely mutes the radio reception!!).

Upon inserting the DMS, and without switching the stereo on, on the C710 unit the lights come on intially, then go off after about 5 secs, then they flash on/off quickly and repeatedly. If I then switch on the 920DVD head unit, upon entering the setup menu I can not find any options for a connected CD changer... the only possible option seems to be the "Aux" input, but there are no options to set for this item.

Can anyone give me some kind of idea what's going wrong? Am I doing one of the steps wrong? Or is my C710 main unit possibly borked? I have dome a search through the forum posts, but couldn't seem to find any posts with the same set-up and problem. Any solutions or pointers would be greatfully received.

Dave.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Sounds like you are trying to run a hacked DMS, on a non-hacked Phatbox.

You must run the hack wizard first using an original DMS in order to hack the phatbox to then allow it to use any other disk.

Did you do this?
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline DaveBoulden

OK... that might explain it. I can't be sure if it's a hacked box or not. I know *I* haven't hacked the box since I wasn't able to reliably mount the harddrive that came in the supplied DMS, but don't know if the original owner hacked it or not. If that drive is unusable, what are my options for getting the C710 up and running? Is my only option to try and buy an original DMS off eBay and use that to hack the C710 to then allow me to use my newly created DMS?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
You do have a number of options:

1) See if anyone is willing to lend you an original DMS to run the hack
2) See if anyone near you is willing to run the hack for you (you can send them the PhatBox to run it)
3) Buy another original DMS from ebay as you say and apply the hack that way

As you are in the UK, the running/application of the hack limits you to just a few of us.

I have a spare original DMS, but I wiped it and need to get it back to factory state, and that might not be possible (i just haven't had the time to dedicate to doing that).

I have a Kenwood Keg CX910, I believe the connections are the same and if you want to send me the PhatBox I'd be willing to run the hack using my day-to-day original DMS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline DaveBoulden

OK... thanks for the info. I'll try the original drive again tonight and see if I can resurrect it... I'll see where I need to go from there!

Thanks for your very prompt help!

Offline DaveBoulden

Have tried to connect up the original drive and it is definitely FUBAR... in fact, it rattles!! There is something come loose inside. Looks like I've been sold a duffer!! Are there any users on here close to Sittingbourne, Kent (U.K.) who can help me out with the short term loan of an original DMS (literally only as long as it takes to load the hack) just so that I can hack my C710?

If not, then I may well take you up on your kind offer, VorTechS, and send you the C710 and have you hack it for me.

:-\

Offline DaveBoulden

VorTechS, could I possibly take you up on your kind offer to let me post my C710 to you and have you hack it for me, please?

thanks!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Box will be back on it's way to you on Monday

Offline DaveBoulden

Thanks mate! Very much appreciated!!