Author Topic: Problem: Patch is not applied on PB-boot  (Read 17309 times)

Offline Warstein

• A few posts under my belt.
Problem: Patch is not applied on PB-boot
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:28:39 pm »
Hi there,

I tried patching my Audi/VW Phatbox, but it didn't succeed. I used the Windows DMS Hack Tools 2.10 and prepared my original 20GB DMS with the help of the assistant, then I unplugged the cable from the Phatbox for a few minutes to ensure it is powered off, installed the cable and the DMS again and turned the ignition (and the radio) on. The box started to play music immediately (Track01, so it did not remember where I left off last time) and nothing else happened. I tried this several times, it's always the same.

Back to the PC, I looked at the disk: there is NO patch.log and NO patchverify.log!!

The bootload.log says:
Code: [Select]
BOOT0-0: OK
BOOT0-1: OK
BOOT0: Successful
BOOT9: Successful
BOOTB: Successful
BOOTF: Successful
BOOT*: Successful

I tried corrupting the ramdisk.sig - the effect is, that the PB won't start up anymore (green light flashing, PB is not recognized by the headunit). After restoring the backup of ramdisk.sig, everything works fine again - but the patch is still not applied.

Can anybody help me with this problem?

I am using a native Audi Concert II headunit. The firmware on the box should be 7.02 (so says the Phatnoise Music Manager). The announcement by the box itself that can be found in the menu ("About this firmware") says something else (359xxx, I'm not quite sure, if this is important I will write it down).

I'm running Windows XP with SP2 (german version).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:32:28 pm by Warstein »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Problem: Patch is not applied on PB-boot
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:33:24 am »
Okay, please ZIP up and send me a copy of PHTSYS so I can take a look at the files.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Warstein

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:07:58 am »
That would be great, thanks! I will send you the file as soon as I'm home from work today.

Best regards!
Warstein

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:06:16 pm »
its likely that your bootload.log is old and not being written to at all anymore.

my suggestion is this:

chkdsk /f the phtsys partition

erase all the files in the root of the phtsys partition (you can leave the folders if you want, but rename or backup the plugin folder if it exists)

extract your head unit's firmware files (four zip files) onto the phtsys partition

remove forceupdate and forcesettings files

try and boot the phatbox that way.

it's likely that the patch never attempted to apply or something else is wrong.  if you can reset the DMS to factory files on phtsys that would be a good way to test.

Offline Warstein

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:36:24 pm »
Hi,
thanks for the quick response!

The bootload.log is definitely new - as I said, I tried corrupting the ramdisk.sig and the PB didn't boot up correctly anymore, resulting in a "boot*- fail" at the end of the bootload.log. As you can see, this is gone now - so the file must be new.

I will try your suggestions anyway and report back.

Best regards,
Warstein

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:08:06 am »
Yep, you have the file 'forcesettings' in the zip file you uploaded and this is used by the PhatBox to do it's own update process.
Removing this file might help.

I checked the usual suspect 'exec.sig' but this appears to be fine.

If after the removal of the file 'forcesettings' it still doesn't work, then you can download the rc level 10 pair, which will generate a log that we might be able to use to find out what's wrong.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline Warstein

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:06:46 am »
Ok, so I will first try to remove the 'forcesettings' file and see if it works. If that doesn't help I will try removing all files in the partition and restoring them from the firmware files as judb suggested...

Hope this helps!

Offline Warstein

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:40 pm »
I'm back with bad news: both suggestions didn't work.

I first removed the forcesettings-file and booted the box (off course after unplugging the cable for a moment, it seems this is always necessary in Audi cars): the radio display showed CDC1 Track01 00:00 for about 5 seconds, then it showed "No magazine" and switched to FM. I switched back to CDC - and it started playing music right away. As you can guess, there still was no sign of the patch being applied...

Then I removed every file in the root of the phtsys-partition (including the plugins-directory) and extracted the firmware files onto it (yes, I removed the forceupdate-file). Back at my car, the box booted without any problems. So I used the DMS Hack Tools again to prepare the DMS and booted the box with it: the effect was the same as above, "CDC1 Track01 00:00" for a moment, then "No magazine" and after I switched back to CDC it started playing music - without applying the patch.

Where do I find the rc level 10 pair and what do I have to do with it?

Thanks again for the help! Without you, I might have tried disassembling the box and re-programming the microcontroller itself... But this might have taken a while. ;-)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 12:22:24 pm »
Okay, a couple of things for clarity.

When you run the new DMS Hack tools, forceupdate and forcesettings should NOT be present.  Is that the case?
Similarly there could still be a problem with 'exec.sig', but there shouldn't be.  To be sure go here:

http://www.phathack.com/plsign.cgi

...browse to 'exec.ini' on PHTSYS and submit.  Open the file the website returns you.  Open the 'exec.sig' on PHTSYS and they should be the same.  Are they?

If not, save the file generated by the website over the top of the existing one.

The RC pairs can be downloaded from here: http://downloads.phathack.com/bushing/rc_pairs.zip

Offline Warstein

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 12:37:47 pm »
I'm not sure about my first run, but after you mentioned to remove forceupdate and forcesettings I made sure to remove them. At my last try with the new extracted firmware files, they were definitely not present.

My exec.sig is the same as the one the website returns to me.

I'll make a run with the rc level 10 pairs, which log-file do you need afterwards?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 12:52:55 pm »
Okay, it's difficult sometimes to work out whether something relates to the 'manual extraction' of the firmware or the automated one because you are doing both!

You should perhaps just concentrate on one method so there is no chance of ambiguity.

Offline Warstein

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:58:41 pm »
I'm not exactly sure what you mean...

I manually extracted the firmware just once, that was the last try. After extracting it from the four files, I removed forceupdate and forcesettings and used the Hack Tools on the DMS.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 01:34:50 pm »
Hmm, well judb wanted you to make sure that when you wiped the PHTSYS partition and extracted the firmware back onto it (removing the forceupdate and forcesettings file) that when you then inserted the DMS into the PhatBox, the PhatBox works in it's factory state. 

I don't see any mention of you doing this particular test. 
Your posts sugggest you did the firmware, then put the hack on and tried it in the car.

Anyway, let's see what the rc pair throws at us....

Offline Warstein

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:08 pm »
Ok, now I know what you mean! I tried that (as you can read in my post from 12:09:40 PM), but I think the PB was NOT back to factory defaults. It should have played back the "Welcome" sound or something like that, shouldn't it? :-x

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 01:48:31 pm »
Ah sorry yes - it's me, I missed the 'Back at my car it booted without problems'.... :-*

No, it would have played whatever playlists you have stored on PHTDTA, I'm assuming you left PHTDTA alone?

The 'Welcome to phatnoise' is a single-item playlist auto-generated by PhatNoise Media Manager when it encounters a new DMS, which of course all that could have been on PHDTA. ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 01:50:51 pm by VorTechS »

Offline Warstein

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:44 pm »
Ah, ok, that's what it did. How can I find out if it was back to factory settings?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 01:54:22 pm »
If it played your existing playlists, and booted up from a cleaned partition with the firmware extracted - that's back to factory settings enough for us.

After running the new DMS tools, running the Hack Wizard should make a number of modifications to the DMS.
You should be able to see what the tools do, by checking 'My Documents\PhatHack Media Manager\Logs' and opening up 'PhatHack_Wizard_Log.txt'.

Actually, you know something.  My bad, I've been so busy over the last few days I completely forgot to ask - can I have a copy of this file? :D

Maybe there's something in there not completing!

Offline Warstein

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 03:46:55 pm »
I've send you a link to the file in a PM. As far as I can see, everything seems to be fine with it...  ???

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 04:13:17 pm »
Okay, I've just taken a look into the PhtSYS you uploaded and as I posted elsewhere the hack has put on the level 10 RC pair.  There is a 'logfile.txt' in there.

Now all you need is someone who can read it, and  tell you what's up!  (And that's not my area of knowledge yet :()

Not sure if anyone other than sbingner knows how to read what's up but here's a link to the rc logfile I was sent earlier:

http://phatnoise.org.uk/PhatHack/logfile.txt
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 04:18:07 pm by VorTechS »

Offline Warstein

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 04:24:56 pm »
That old logfile is very big, I attached the new logfile that was created after I re-installed the firmware. The "error" should be in there, too, but this file is much smaller.