Author Topic: Building a NEW DMS Catridge  (Read 5031 times)

Offline IceeSmooth2002

Building a NEW DMS Catridge
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:31:35 pm »
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum, as I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way.  I'm just wondering if there's a link to how to build my own DMS (120 gig, I won't need more than that) cartridge.  I just picked up a 2008 Hyundai Sonata last night and I'd like to take my Music Keg (which has been sitting in my office for two years, ever since I sold my '03 Cavalier) at some point and put it in my Sonata (daily driver).  I have over 20,000 songs in my musical collection so the wimpy 10 gigs just isn't cutting it.  I found the links (which was very informative) about the parts I need to build my own cartridge and thankfully the prices of the hard drives are down significantly but I haven't see anything that shows how to put all of it together.  Please keep in mind that I'm not "electronically inclined" and will probably need the instructions to be as dumbed down as they could possibly be so that even I can understand them and follow them precisely.

Also if any one may happen to have one for sale that they built and is reliable, I'd go that route too if the price is reasonable.

James

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Building a NEW DMS Catridge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:21:43 pm »
Once you have the parts, it should be pretty obvious... you can always compare it to the 10GB cartridge that you already have assembled...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Building a NEW DMS Catridge
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:11:29 pm »
there are only 4 screws involved and if you take apart the existing DMS you have an exact layout of what the new drive will need to look like on the inside.

inside you have the drive, the converter board that hooks the drive up to the custom plug type phatnoise uses, the release lever and the spring (u shaped piece of metal).. thats pretty much it.

well theres the two rubber sleeves for the drive itself to protect against shock.. that you may have to cut on a bit to get to fit to a new drive, but dont be afraid, its really hard to ruin.