Author Topic: cradle starting to die or maybe dead?  (Read 4665 times)

Offline zippzopp

cradle starting to die or maybe dead?
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:05:36 am »
so i've got the USB 2.0 cradle for my DMS......everything is plugged in properly, power and usb to the computer, but when i plug in my DMS nothing happens, no lights go on, nothing.  it was working earlier, but while i was copying music to it, a box popped up that said another application stopped the DMS and it powered off...now it won't go back on...is it dead? can i get another one from somewhere without buying a whole package??

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: cradle starting to die or maybe dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:31:11 am »
That usually means the little button on the bottom isn't getting pressed... I think I remember seeing somebody post about some sort of work-around... but I'd say make sure it's seated properly first.

Offline zippzopp

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:37:46 am »
yeah, i saw that thread, opened up the cradle and checked the little metal power thing that has to connect with the PCB in the cradle.  it lines up properly and touches, but i still get nothing.  i guess its dead....any other places to get a cradle besides ebay?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:41:30 am »
You could test to make sure your power supply is supplying power too... it's not a very complicated piece of hardware, so it's rare that it actually goes bad...

Ebay would probably be your best bet for a new cradle

Offline zippzopp

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:52:48 am »
yeah, i suppose you're right that it is rare for it to go bad.  having opened it up made me realize how simple it is.  maybe i'll stop by radio shack tomorrow and pick up a new power plug to see if that does the trick

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:59:55 am »
You don't have a multimeter to measure the power coming from the plug?

Of course you don't... but you could probably find one of those pretty cheap too, I find mine useful all the time

Offline zippzopp

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
haha, nope, don't have one...maybe i should get one for these rare occassions...lol.  i'll hit up radio shack and see what i can find there...i would hope its only a bad power supply...that would make my day.  i'll keep ya posted, thanks so much for quick help

with the phatnoise discontinued...what else is out there that is similar?

Offline zippzopp

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:51:38 pm »
tried a new ac adapter from radio shack with no luck.  i guess the cradle is just dead..time to try to find a new one i guess