Author Topic: PhatMac  (Read 7807 times)

Offline Nick

PhatMac
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:23:10 pm »
Does anyone know why Cameron took down PhatMac?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: PhatMac
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 08:52:13 pm »
I don't know but I would guess its either he was distributing something like plsign and got a nasty letter from PN or he was afraid that he might so he took it down?

Dunno.

Offline pheller

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 12:03:40 am »
Does anyone have a copy of the latest version?  I no longer have a windows Machine, and I really need iTunes integration....

--phil

Offline kxs

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 08:08:13 pm »
I'm looking for it too.. anyone?

Offline Cameron

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:31:33 pm »
Hi,

The problem is that PhatMac uses plsign .. and PhatNoise is no longer distributing that tool.

I have just put up PhatMac 0.5.2 which will work as an update for people using any previous version of PhatMac. If you don't already have PhatMac installed, then don't bother with the update ... the update doesn't contain plsign, so it won't work.

The update must be installed over the old version .. Basically the update uses plsign that was installed with the previous version.

Update 0.5.2 fixes the eject issue with Mac os 10.4.x, and hopefully speeds up file transfer too.

PhatMac web-site:
http://www.buzzneon.com/PhatMac

I am already working on 0.5.3 which will be for everyone. It will use a local copy of plsign (if it can find it), or it'll use the plsign.cgi page on this phathack site. Personally I hate this solution since it's slow, and it requires that the user have an active internet connection .. however PhatNoise is just totally unwilling to bend on the plsign issue, even though I have given them several possible solutions.

Sorry about all this .. There's really nothing I can do (I don't want to distribute plsign illegally..).

Cameron.
---
Cameron Silver
Visit the PhatMac website:

Offline kxs

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 02:42:02 pm »
Thanks for the response. I'm the guy who emailed you yesterday too ;)  Stupid phatnoise >:(

My phatbox is in the mail, but I guess I'll have to dump all my mp3's over to the old PC in the corner to load it up.

I'll check out your cgi version once you release it.

kaspar

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 05:27:56 pm »
The really extra super retarded part is... plsign isnt even needed at all for what we have done ... we already built the scripts using an existing plsign binary so ... um... whats the point in screwing over your non windows / non PMM using customers?

I can think of ONE reason for that.

A future release of PMM will find a way to validate the DMS is a PN signed DMS and you'll have to use PMM to copy audio to the box.. Just a thought.

If they do that though it would be bad.

I'd suggest that everyone download the latest version of PMM and keep it on a CD just in case. ;)

Offline Cameron

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 08:00:05 pm »
The really extra super retarded part is... plsign isnt even needed at all for what we have done

It's a moronic, knee-jerk reaction which will do absolutely nothing to stop the 'hackers'. It actively amuses me when companies make a move like this, because they're only hurting themselves. To think that they honestly believe making their product less useable is a good thing .. Sure it might slow the "hackers" for a short period, but they'll catch up .. they always catch up as they're never more than just one step behind. However, the real users (who make up 99% of their userbase) will get fed up and leave.

Ugh ... I could rant forever, but I won't.

Anyway I have successfully built the marvelous PhatSig  tool for OS-X, and will soon release a new version of PhatMac that uses it instead of plsign. This new version (hopefully before the end of this week) will be fully functional for even new users.

Cameron.
---
Cameron Silver
Visit the PhatMac website: