Author Topic: They're not checking hdb...!  (Read 6623 times)

Offline AndyMan

• Getting the hang of things.
They're not checking hdb...!
« on: June 25, 2005, 08:03:01 pm »
I built myself the cable, added a second hard drive (unknown contents but formatted) and got sound.....  IT DIDN'T REBOOT.

IT DID spin up the second drive though

Now, I'm struggling...  massive euphoria, computer show is in town and they're moving 80gb notebook drives for $95  . . .  looks like I'm heading down to the show
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 08:05:53 pm by AndyMan »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: They're not checking hdb...!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 10:08:04 pm »
are you sure it will mount the drive?  if the drive gets power it spins up.  Did you power it from the phatbox or from an external source?

Details details! :)

Offline AndyMan

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 10:20:08 pm »
I didn't get to the show, they're closed until tomorrow... details, details...

My Original 10GB DMS is IDE0, the new drive is IDE1 (jumper selector sets this) (when holding the drive(s), I felt #1 spin up, then drive 2 spin up

I've"borrowed" the wife's laptop <grin>  I'm gonna image the drive first (she'd kill me if I didn't), then reformat her laptop drive using the phatnoise supplied drive repatitioning s/w which *should* give me when I hook it all together HDB0 (phatsys)and HDB1 (phatdata)... I'm gona mount HDB1 to "/dos/data" doing a total overwrite using SPIN's method (hack.sh)

Thinking about this, I ight have to do a little "screwing around" with the file that notes the number of tracks etc before I load everything up... ca't remember the filename and 'm really sort of USB connectors.. no worries, think I've got it handled, I'll yell if I need help

« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 10:37:39 pm by AndyMan »

Offline AndyMan

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 10:25:51 pm »
Started the image (acronis), because it's going to another USB device, it's gonna take at least an hour... stay tuned!

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 10:35:35 pm »
if the controller supports it I expect it will mount it fine... just make you startup script be a hack script.  Currently mine also does a pivot_root so it's running completely off an ext3 partition on my drive, starts a serial console and puts back the working flacplay

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:36:40 pm »
get on irc too guys :b irc.freenode.net #phathack -- we got bushing, spin, hdm and a few others there

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 12:43:18 am »
my laptop won't connect to IRC for some reason.. its really pissing me off.

I should be home this weekend (been on the road all week long) and then I'll join up.

Offline AndyMan

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 04:13:41 am »
IT FREAKIN WORKED!

Gettin music totally out of normal scenario's

Looks like it's loading HDB rather than HDA for music... appears to be getting announcement correct (artist/title) but as I don't have VIOT, It's gonna need a litle more work

Andy