Author Topic: Archive Phatnoise Forums?!?  (Read 8358 times)

Offline az1324

• Getting the hang of things.
Archive Phatnoise Forums?!?
« on: June 28, 2005, 08:30:56 pm »
Can someone grab a copy of most of what is on the Phatnoise forums and add it to this site?  They said they are taking it down on thursday.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Archive Phatnoise Forums?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:10:57 pm »
There is a copyright notice on every page.  I don't think its safe or wise to repost the forums here.  Sorry dude.

I have already made an archive of every thread on the forums over there though.

admin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 09:18:14 pm »
Indeed.  There are legal problems and technical problems with the idea.  Sorry.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:51:36 am »
There is a copyright notice on every page.  I don't think its safe or wise to repost the forums here.  Sorry dude.

I have already made an archive of every thread on the forums over there though.

sure, the PAGE is copywrite'd but they can't copywrite the posts... only the person who made the post can do that.  We could reformat them, remove all the copywrited code, and repost I think

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:18:02 am »
Well, the posts of their employees might be subject to limitations at the very least.  Either way.. I don't think hosting them on a website without express permission by phatnoise would be a good idea.  Theres over a hundred megs of data in the archive I created but it might be possible to make a loader to upload posts into another forum program from the HTML...

I think removing the copyrights would be worse than just hosting it with the copyrights still listed.

Offline dkovsky

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 12:18:21 am »
Might this fall under the Fair Use provision of copyright law?

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 04:03:02 am »
I dont know.  IANAL ... hehe.. Perhaps someone could get permission for us to host it, untill then I'll just keep it burned on CD.

Offline FiftyPence

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 07:04:18 am »
Why did the phatnoise forum get shut down?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 03:19:45 pm »
Because it was figured out that plsign would allow us to run our own shell code on the phatbox, there by bypassing at least a portion of the security, so they freaked out and shut down the forums before we posted something to that effect on there.

We still have less than 600 members here and the phatnoise forums had thousands of members.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 03:07:37 am »
Because it was figured out that plsign would allow us to run our own shell code on the phatbox, there by bypassing at least a portion of the security, so they freaked out and shut down the forums before we posted something to that effect on there.

I don't think that was it - I think it was that the VW/Audi closeout sale was filling the forums with people who bought the discounted boxes and then discovered they needed to spend big bucks for a larger DMS, etc.

The retail PhatBox was always a tiny portion of PhatNoise's revenue model - the big money was always in the branded products (Keg, etc.) and the lincensing deals w/ GM and so forth.

Offline Genesis

• Bite Me
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 01:44:53 am »
The VW/Audi closeouts threatened to kill the golden goose.

How do you sell $1,000 pieces of hardware when they can be had for $119?  

Its pretty damn tough!

Word started getting around that it not only was happening BUT that you could run that hardware on many other head units, needing only a cable.

Then add to that the impending ability to do your own disk swaps....

I think that was enough to freak them out and the "gut reaction" was to kill the forums before THEIR userbase figured out that they didn't HAVE to buy replacement DMSs (and even base hardware) from Phatnoise.

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 04:23:52 am »
I think it was because they were getting ready to be bought out; and the new owner has no interest in providing support to us.  This way, Phatnoise, and not the new company, took away the forums.

Offline skew

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 02:31:02 pm »
I sold my replay tv because of harmon and bought a tivo even though the replay was 10x better untill they stripped all of the cool features out. At least there will be a good supply of vw units floating around flea bay for awhile incase I have a hardware problem. And I no longer have to worry about buying a dms @ 4x market value.  I say good luck to the Harmon group I guess they will ride the sinking ship along with GM and their gas guzzling SUV's :)

Offline SteveC

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 06:05:07 pm »
I sold my replay tv because of harmon and bought a tivo even though the replay was 10x better untill they stripped all of the cool features out.

Umm, ReplayTV was bought by D&M Holdings (Denon, Marantz, McIntosh), not Harman. To the best of my knowledge, the two have nothing to do with one another. See here for more info: http://ibiquity.com/about/alliance_cecm.htm

However, considering some of the hairbrained crud I have seen Harman produce for the car, I can only hope that they put the Phatfolks in charge, instead of just merging the teams.

Offline skew

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 06:51:01 pm »
oh my bad, same crappy type company they still make crappy stuff with bad service "JBL eeekkkkk" :) its been about 2 years since I even messed with the  replay stuff.