Author Topic: Problem with 2 Kenwood Kegs  (Read 6934 times)

Offline micmom

• A few posts under my belt.
Problem with 2 Kenwood Kegs
« on: July 12, 2005, 02:26:21 pm »
I have two Kenwood Kegs in two cars. Both are connected via the Sirius “box” to the Kenwood head unit.
I have experienced the following:
The keg1 in car1 flashed “load” and then “eject” – I tested the dms on my computer and it seems ok. I then disconnected the cable from keg1. On re-connecting the cable the head unit does not “see” the keg at all and no sound comes from Sirius. When the cable is disconnected the Sirius sound is ok.
I then (foolishly) connected keg2 in car1 to try to isolate the problem and had the same as above. So, I thought there must be a problem with either the cable or the Sirius box on car1. I then re-connected keg2 to car2 and now it has the same problem as car1 – head unit cannot “see” the keg and no Sirius sound.

I tried resetting the radio to factory defaults but to no avail.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could render some advice as now I have problems with both vehicles.
Thanks.  

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Problem with 2 Kenwood Kegs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:42:50 pm »
I seem to recall there being problems using the passthrough port on the early models of the Sirius adapter. I think that only the latest works well with the keg. The solution was to either replace the Sirius adapter, or use a multi-changer adapter (I forget the part number) instead of the passthrough.

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:33:52 pm »

Offline micmom

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:17:11 pm »
SteveC and Firefox - thanks to both of you guys for the info. Will buy one and see how it works out. Thanks.

Offline crane007

• Mazda 3 Phathacker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 07:07:06 pm »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 09:47:05 pm »
That doesn't explain why one was working but is no longer working

admin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 12:49:48 am »
Just to confirm, there was a problem with the early sirius tuner's passthrough port.  I had that unit with my keg, and about once a week I would have to unplug the keg and plug it back in for the headunit to recognize it.

The new sirius unit's passthrough works fine (except in my case, where I have the switching unit & and sirius tuner in a failed attempt to make the Keg, Sirius, & iPod adapter all work).

Offline ryanmc

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 06:48:58 pm »
Once you unplug the cable, you will need to load the firmware again.  I had the same trouble you desribed (no sound from sirius and "eject dms"): firmware 13.01 was the fix.

(Edited for punctuation.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 07:09:12 pm by admin »

Offline micmom

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:13:28 pm »
But will loading firmware 13.01 solve the problem of the headunit not "seeing" the keg?

admin

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 02:33:56 am »
No firmware ever fixed the problem for me.  The only thing that fixed the problem was getting the new Sirius unit (and now the changer switch as well).

Offline micmom

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 05:15:06 pm »
I finally got both Kegs working.
Thanks to ryanmc - you were correct. Just loading the 13.01 firmaware (and following PHATNOISE's instructions to the letter!) fixed Keg2 and got Sirius up.
Keg1 (the first to give problems) was another matter. I finally opened the Keg to find that the ribbon cable, that connects the DMS to the pc board, had come loose. The cable does not fit snugly and needs the clips on either side to secure it. Problem is that these clips are not (now?) doing this properly.
Secured the clips with a tie-back and voila! the Keg works like a dream!

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

Offline FiftyPence

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 09:03:19 pm »
Im going to take my Keg apart and see if anything has come loose which would explain why its not working.

I have a new cable on order but maybe i wont need that after all