Author Topic: XMRadio + Phatbox on a Kenwood Deck  (Read 6054 times)

Offline black99m3

XMRadio + Phatbox on a Kenwood Deck
« on: July 13, 2005, 05:30:55 am »
I currently have a phatbox connected to a new kenwood deck so that I can see a text display of what song is playing using the 13 pin cable plugged into the back of the deck.

The problem I have is I also have XM Radio and I need to be able to plug it into the same 13 pin port. Besides buying a switch is there anything I can do to run both at the same time and still be able to control both the XMRadio and Phatbox from the deck?

Thanks!

admin

Re: XMRadio + Phatbox on a Kenwood Deck
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 02:02:46 pm »
I don't believe so - I think the switch is the way to go.

Offline crunch13

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:51:04 pm »
Are you suggesting that someone makes a switch to choose between 2 13-pin units?

Is it Kenwood's design decision that you can have either the Keg *or* the sat radio option? That's nuts!

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 06:11:27 pm »
Kenwood makes a switch.  I think it's the s210a, and I have it in my car.  It's Kenwood's (logical) decision to put 1 port on the back of their decks.  Also, remember that Kenwoods are (technically) sirius (not XM) ready - and the sirius tuner has passthrough for the Keg or a CD changer.

You're using XM - I guess with the orange and black Terk adapter?  That doesn't have pass-through, which is Terk, not Kenwood's, fault.  

Get the switch and you'll be a happy man.  I have the Keg, iPod Adapter, Sirius, and XM in my car (though I go back and forth between Sirius and XM as to never pay for both at the same time).

Offline crunch13

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 06:33:02 pm »
Hi, great answer. Tell me about the XM connection/functionality? Do you get full use of the controls and full text metadata on the HU?
How do you switch between the keg and the sat tuner... is it a manual switch or does it follow a button on the HU?
TIA!

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 01:07:30 am »
I do get full control over the XM with my HU (Kenwood 828).  Pressing source switches from Sirius, Tuner, HDD EXT (KEG), AUX, CD, XM, EXT MEDIA (iPod).

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 10:10:12 pm »
I'm making a custom cable right now using a 13 pin DIN Kenwood cable.

I'm have to make it because I want to run both my Phatbox and a Sirius Tuner in my Audi.

Do you know if your Kenwood Sirius Tuner has an audio pass thru?
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 12:00:09 pm »
It doesn't, if you talking about "just audio" (RCA).  I only has passthrough for the Kenwood din cable.