Author Topic: My QUEST for a Kenwood to Keg cable!  (Read 11231 times)

Offline sparky3

• Getting the hang of things.
  • www.goldcomics. com
My QUEST for a Kenwood to Keg cable!
« on: July 14, 2005, 02:13:46 pm »
So, here's my story so far.  I've had car mp3 players since about 1999 (AIWA) but they were all cdrom based.  I took a long look at the phatbox around 2002, but it was too expensive in my opinion for the money.  Anyway, I see the 10GB units (KHD-C710) selling on EBAY for around $199 plus shipping.  I have the Kenwood P815-NAV system, so I figure what the hell, why not buy one?

On a whim, I call some local stores to see if they have any.  Get this - H.H. Gregg in Columbus says they have an "incomplete" unit that was a store demo for $39.95.  I figure for $40 what the hell, right?  I get over there and they have not only the KHD-C710 main unit, but a 10GB DMS, the USB cradle and an older Kenwood car remote, all for the $40.  So I buy it.  Little did I know that the KHD-5L1
cable would be IMPOSSIBLE to find!

First step, I call phatbox.  They told me to call pacparts or Kenwood, which I did.
NO PLACE has the KHD-5L1, and Kenwood said they've been back-ordered since the beginning of the year.  In another thread someone mentioned they ordered one last week by calling Kenwood's Canadian distributor.  No such luck for me - again, backordered like everywhere else.
I even went so far as researching all the past sales on EBAY for both the KHD-C710 and the KHD-CX910, to find out if anyone wanted to part with their KHD-5L1 cables, just in case they were using the remote display through the FM antannae.  No such luck, all said they were using them.

Being a crappy solderer, I looked at the pinouts on the cables, and I'm trying the following solution:

1.  Purchasing the 13 pin Kenwood to changer cable, plus
2.  Purchasing the AUDI to VW cable, which is a 13 pin female to Phatbox cable.

You guys think this will work?  Here's a pic:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 02:14:45 pm by sparky3 »

Offline crane007

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Mazda 3 Phathacker
Re: My QUEST for a Kenwood to Keg cable!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 05:51:37 pm »
sparky3,

I know what you are going through, I finally got my cable last week. If you are in the US, I would order from www.pacparts.com. I ordered my cable (I am in Canada) last week (Thursday) and received it on Tuesday of this week (Already installed it).

I got my cable from www.globalsemi.com, I orderd the part K-KHD-5L1.

I would give them a call, their website sucks, but their phone order people are pretty good.

Crane007

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:00:51 pm »
assuming you used my pinouts, it should work fine... might want to double-check the ground and +12V pins before you connect it to be safe

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 06:32:29 pm »
sparky3,

I know what you are going through, I finally got my cable last week. If you are in the US, I would order from www.pacparts.com. I ordered my cable (I am in Canada) last week (Thursday) and received it on Tuesday of this week (Already installed it).

I got my cable from www.globalsemi.com, I orderd the part K-KHD-5L1.

I would give them a call, their website sucks, but their phone order people are pretty good.

Crane007

I appreciate the tip, unfortunately BOTH sites are saying this part is back ordered.  This is after 2 phone calls and using those referral numbers.  It's almost like anyone with a music keg is going to be screwed if their cable messes up!

On a side note, I'm picking up TWO more VW Phatboxes tonight on my way home from work.  That'll make four total that I own or that are on the way, and I only will have one actual KHD-5L1 between the four.

Why did I order two?  Well, they have 20GB DMS Cartridges, and the USB 2.0 adapters.  Plus, they're only $109.90 each!  Can't go wrong there!

Shawn

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 06:33:48 pm »
assuming you used my pinouts, it should work fine... might want to double-check the ground and +12V pins before you connect it to be safe

Yeah, I should do that.  If this works, it'll be a viable work around with no soldering.  Still not as cheap as doing it yourself though...

I really appreciate your pinout page - I think I've viewed it 20 time so far!

Shawn

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 06:38:59 pm »
Why did I order two?  Well, they have 20GB DMS Cartridges, and the USB 2.0 adapters.  Plus, they're only $109.90 each!  Can't go wrong there!

Shawn

Where did you order those from? I could use one or two more... or I might buy your box off you if you don't want it... I don't need the cable or drive for what I want it for ;)

Sam

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:01:09 pm »

Where did you order those from? I could use one or two more... or I might buy your box off you if you don't want it... I don't need the cable or drive for what I want it for ;)

Sam

It's a local VW dealer here in Columbus, BYERS VW.  You'll have to buy the entire kit though - I'll gladly sell you either a Kenwood KHD-C710 or the VW unit.  At the end of today, I'll have a brand new VW one.  By next Tuesday, I'll have 2 used KHD-C710's (I have ONE now).  I'd probably sell either VW ones for $30 plus shipping(for just the box, $50 for the brand new box + VW cable).  Let me know before I go on EBAY.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 07:08:21 pm by sparky3 »

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 09:46:08 pm »
[quote author=sparky3
1.  Purchasing the 13 pin Kenwood to changer cable, plus
2.  Purchasing the AUDI to VW cable, which is a 13 pin female to Phatbox cable.

You guys think this will work?  Here's a pic:

[/quote]

This doesn't work, by the way.  Does Anyone have a Kenwood to keg cable I can buy from them?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 09:50:01 pm »
just cut them open and connect the proper wires together (solder or connectors) then black tape it... can make it look good even

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 04:39:33 am »
Do you have the diagram for the Audi to Kenwood 13 pin?  I saw the one page for the Audi, but I'm not clear which goes to which?

I also have a short VW cable that'd I'd prefer to slice, but it only appears to use 9/13 pins, while the Kenwood 13 pin cable has all but one used..?

Offline sparky3

• www.goldcomics. com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 06:47:46 am »
*Sigh* Nevermind.  I've taken apart the Audi-Phatbox cable and I'm going to have to solder it.  They're only using 11 pins on the other end, so I bought some 22 gauge cable and some solder.  Gotta love Meijer's at almost 3 A.M.!  I've been a real baby about this, and I wish I'd have modified one of my VW cables and my 15 foot 13 pin to 13 pin Kenwood changer cable (combined they are cheaper than the Audi>Phatbox cable.

The Phatbox jerks even have their end "dipped" in plastic!  It's a solid connection, but will take a while with my soldering gun.

I will report back in all -

Shawn

Offline image2000uk

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 07:01:26 am »
Hi Sparky

We can get hold of the cables in the Uk No problem bu ti dont know if they will ship to the US you could always give them a call to ask I gave them a call and it was with me 4 days later direct from belgum the cost of the cable was £55 which is about $100 i think just a option if you dont want to go through the hassle link here for the phone number
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/support/Spareparts.aspx?men=2&M2=29

Cheers
Image2000uk

Offline Phool

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 04:04:04 pm »
HI - just picking up on this thread since it looks like it has the attention of one or two guys with plenty of experience of cables....

I posted an item under 'Hacks' a while ago because the signature on my genuine DMS got screwed.   The only way forward is to buy or borrow another genuine DMS, and apply the hack to my Keg so I can still use my 'unholy' DMS.   So far I've been unable to do this and, frankly, my Keg has always been a skipping pain in the **, so I'm thinking of just ditching it and buying a VW Phatbox since I see these in the US for around $120, and I have an American friend coming to see me next month with space in her luggage !  :-)

However - here's the question - is the connection on the VW Phatbox (the centronics-style one - MBUS..??) pin-for-pin the same as the connection on the Music Keg, such that I can use my Keg cable to hook up the Phatbox to my Kenwood headunit..?   Or, better yet, is there by any chance a flavour of Phatbox (VW, BMW, Audi...?) which will hook directly up to the Kenwood H/U using the new supplied cable because that vehicle maker uses Kenwood..?

Here's hoping -

Thanks in advance to all.

Kind Regards - Chris (UK).

Offline FiftyPence

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 01:45:34 pm »
Chris, you are a life saver.

My Keg hasnt worked for a good 6 months now and I was ready to order a totally new one until i noticed your tip of where to buy kenwood spares.  I gave fullers a call and voila, the new cable will be with me in a few days.

Now fingers crossed it will work with a new cable otherwise ill have to buy a whole new Keg/Phatbox after all.

Cheers

Andy

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 01:55:18 pm »
HI - just picking up on this thread since it looks like it has the attention of one or two guys with plenty of experience of cables....

I posted an item under 'Hacks' a while ago because the signature on my genuine DMS got screwed.   The only way forward is to buy or borrow another genuine DMS, and apply the hack to my Keg so I can still use my 'unholy' DMS.   So far I've been unable to do this and, frankly, my Keg has always been a skipping pain in the **, so I'm thinking of just ditching it and buying a VW Phatbox since I see these in the US for around $120, and I have an American friend coming to see me next month with space in her luggage !  :-)

However - here's the question - is the connection on the VW Phatbox (the centronics-style one - MBUS..??) pin-for-pin the same as the connection on the Music Keg, such that I can use my Keg cable to hook up the Phatbox to my Kenwood headunit..?   Or, better yet, is there by any chance a flavour of Phatbox (VW, BMW, Audi...?) which will hook directly up to the Kenwood H/U using the new supplied cable because that vehicle maker uses Kenwood..?

Here's hoping -

Thanks in advance to all.

Kind Regards - Chris (UK).

The back of all phatboxes / kegs have the same connector on the back for the head unit hookup.  The headunit cable determines which pins are used, and the firmware on the phatbox determines how it communicates to the head unit (what protocol to emulate)

Offline FiftyPence

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 02:13:07 pm »
So if someone were to buy a Phatbox, they could use the kenwood cable with it but the only limitation would be the firmware on the Phatbox which wouldnt allow you to use a VW (for example) Phatbox with a Kenwood HU?

Im sure there is a thread about this elsewhere so i shall have to look around.

Offline damb

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 02:29:12 pm »
All you have to do is flash the phatbox with the Kenwood firmware its very easy to do and find, if you need the link i can fiond it for you.

Offline FiftyPence

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 03:08:30 pm »
So the only data in the whole thing is in the cartridge itself, there isnt any specific data within the rest of the phatbox structure which will hinder the process.

Thats ok mate, i think i know what you mean.  Its on the phatnoise site where you just update the firmware and it has a list of the vehicle manufacturers and one which says 'Kenwood Head Units' last updated 2004 or something.

Wicked, so if my Keg does turn out to be busted even with a new cable then ill just get a Phatbox
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 03:10:50 pm by FiftyPence »

Offline damb

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 03:26:29 pm »
You load the firmware on the cartridge and once put into the PB it intalls it on the pb. There is a step by step on Phatnoise website on how to update firmware.

Offline uofmtiger

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 09:47:24 pm »
Does anyone know how to make the KHD-5L1?  I would be willing to buy one from someone.  I have been waiting for a while and these cables are on backorder indefinitely.   ??? Thanks