Author Topic: 250GB DMS and PMM 3.92 - solved  (Read 6526 times)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
250GB DMS and PMM 3.92 - solved
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:01 pm »
As far as I am aware, those of us trying to use a 250GB DMS have done so successfully only with Phatnoise Music Manager 2.30 or with VorTechS' Phathack Media Manager.  Usage with any version of Phatnoise Media Manager has proven difficult.  If anyone is interested, after a bit of trial and error, I have finally succeeded in getting PMM 3.92 to cooperate with a 250GB DMS.  This is not so much a "fix" as a workaround, but it does work.

Following are the steps that worked for me.  Your mileage may vary.

1. If you have not already done so, create a new DMS with the 250GB drive with VorTechS' Phathack DMS Tools.
2. Install PMM 2.30 and PMM 3.92 on your computer (Music Manager and Media Manager can co-exist).
3. Connect the DMS and use PMM 2.30 to create several playlists.  (I created 30 playlists, with about 10GB of music.)
4. Save/eject out of PMM 2.30.  When complete, remove the DMS from the cradle.
5. With the DMS still NOT connected, start up PMM 3.92.
6. When 3.92 has loaded, put the DMS back in the cradle.  If all goes well, PMM will recognize the DMS and start to update the DMS database.  This will take several minutes.
7. When the database update has completed, save/eject out of PMM.  Done.

For every future operation, PMM 3.92 MUST be running before the DMS is connected.  If you connect the DMS first and then start PMM, you will get an error and the phtsys partition will "disappear" (no worries, it will reappear on after reconnecting).  You may encounter this error even if you run PMM first, but rarely.  If it happens, just disconnect and reconnect the DMS.

This only works in Windows XP, not Vista.  Vista refuses to recognize the 250GB drive when connected via the Phatnoise cradle.

That's basically it.  I did this over the weekend and have been transferring music with 3.92 since, no problem.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS