Author Topic: Script to patch your flash for unsigned DMS drives  (Read 7758 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Script to patch your flash for unsigned DMS drives
« on: July 25, 2005, 05:35:02 am »
Check out THIS LINK TO THE WIKI

This should work for anyone.. if you have trouble please let us know in this thread.  I'll respond to the issues as I can.

Read the wiki entry very carefully.  Print it out because you'll be rebooting your PC for part of it.  This is not that hard really but it does take some time.

Thanks to a lot of folks for this.. I moved this to its own thread from here http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dmshack;action=display;num=1122187002
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 05:35:44 am by judb »

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
Re: Script to patch your flash for unsigned DMS dr
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 02:02:25 pm »
So, I run this patch first and then once the new hard drive is in the DMS case. I then start adding my music, correct.

I'm sure of this, but is there anything I should do to the NEW hard drive first? Like formatting it to FAT32, and wiping it clean, etc? The reason I'm asking is for anyone who reads this they will have this information.

Also, in the  HOW TO, there is a section of the steps that I'm not sure that I'm needing to complete or not.  Here it is:

You can also review the logs in PHTSYS\log for more information.

You must write the first 1 meg of the original DMS onto the new DMS. Use dd to write the file drive-sig-1mb.bin (created in PHTSYS\backup, but copy it to a local drive before using this as you have to swap DMS drives) to the new DMS once it is inserted. DD for windows users (http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite/dd.htm)
Also make a backup copy of your plugin directory for copying to the new DMS drive.
You can now make any drive a DMS drive. Partition it into two partitions, a PHTSYS of 64 megs and a PHTDTA of any size. PHTDTA must be an extended logical partition (partition number 5). I suggest waiting on this till you get a few more steps below and using the phatnoise DMS recovery CD / boot disk. This wiki entry does not cover the hardware portion of swaping the contents of the DMS.
Windows Users:
launch c:\windows\system32\diskmgmt.msc for windows 2K or XP
to see what physical drive number windows has assigned your DMS. Replace X below with that number.
dd if=c:\drive-sig-1mb.bin of=\\.\physicaldriveX bs=512 count=2048
Unix Users:
I shouldnt have to explain this but use dd to copy the file
dd if=/home/joeblow/drive-sig-1mb.bin of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=2048

I'm not sure if this is for informational pursposes only or what. Also could you go back and edit the steps needed and MARK THEM WITH: STEP 1), STEP 2), STEP 3), etc. So that each one the needs to be completed is clearly marked, and any additional is purely just additional.

I don't want to mess this up and having clear instruction, especially for us a little unsure on what we're doing will HELP out a lot.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:21:29 pm by mts »
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 02:48:50 pm »
[size=13]YOU MUST FOLLOW EVERY STEP LISTED IN THE HOW TO. [/size]

Otherwise your drive will likely not work.

The 1 meg copy to the new DMS puts the keys that are expected by the phatnoise software in the correct place.  Music Playback will fail without it even if your not using protected audio.  (we didnt crack everything open with.. just enough to use other hard drives)

Offline ry4n

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 03:24:32 pm »
The two steps that refer to using the program DD have me lost.

This one:

You must write the first 1 meg of the original DMS onto the new DMS. Use dd to write the file drive-sig-1mb.bin (created in PHTSYS\backup, but copy it to a local drive before using this as you have to swap DMS drives) to the new DMS once it is inserted.

and this one:

Replace X below with that number.
dd if=c:\drive-sig-1mb.bin of=\\.\physicaldriveX bs=512 count=2048

Is dd supposed to run on it's own? I downloaded dd, read the info on the webpage you provided, and tried running the program, but it closes within half a second of me running it. I must be missing something here.....

Offline RobM

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 03:25:48 pm »
Is dd supposed to run on it's own? I downloaded dd, read the info on the webpage you provided, and tried running the program, but it closes within half a second of me running it. I must be missing something here.....

You need to run it from a cmd.exe window; it's a console-mode program.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 03:29:22 pm »
The dd confuses me also. Wha do I download on that page?    

Source?
Binary?

You gotta understand that your going to be dealing with some very computer illiterate people here, and I know I'm one of them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 03:32:53 pm by mts »
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline ry4n

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 03:31:44 pm »

You need to run it from a cmd.exe window; it's a console-mode program.

Thanks, I figured it was something simple.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 03:35:28 pm »
dd for windows.. get latest version.  put it in the windows directory on your computer.  it will work on the command line.. so open a command prompt and type the command in the wiki..
[size=13]
BE VERY SURE YOU GET THE PHYSICALDRIVEXX (where XX is the drive number in disk managment) correct OR YOU CAN RUIN OTHER DRIVES IN YOUR PC!!!  
[/size]

Offline ry4n

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 03:49:21 pm »
next noob question:

What hard-drive should I be looking at as far as interfaces are concerned? I found about 40 drives on Newegg with interfaces labelled as "ATA-6". There was one "ATA-5", one "ATA-7", and a couple of SATA drives. Obviously it's not a SATA drive, so I assume "ATA-6" is what is needed?

Offline RobM

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 03:55:46 pm »
next noob question:

What hard-drive should I be looking at as far as interfaces are concerned? I found about 40 drives on Newegg with interfaces labelled as "ATA-6". There was one "ATA-5", one "ATA-7", and a couple of SATA drives. Obviously it's not a SATA drive, so I assume "ATA-6" is what is needed?

It doesn't really matter as long as it's a parallel ATA drive.  ATA-2 or better should be fine, as the PhatBox doesn't even support DMA.

You'll also obviously need a 2.5" drive as a 3.5" drive won't fit.  :D

Offline RobM

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:57:00 pm »
The dd confuses me also. Wha do I download on that page?    

Source?
Binary?

You gotta understand that your going to be dealing with some very computer illiterate people here, and I know I'm one of them.

Since you're not going to be modifying it at all (not being computer literate I hope you're not a programmer ;) ), the binary is the one you want.

Offline ry4n

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 04:00:43 pm »

It doesn't really matter as long as it's a parallel ATA drive.  ATA-2 or better should be fine, as the PhatBox doesn't even support DMA.

You'll also obviously need a 2.5" drive as a 3.5" drive won't fit.  :D