Author Topic: Muisc Keg compatible with new Kenwood HU?  (Read 6828 times)

Offline kilmerman

Muisc Keg compatible with new Kenwood HU?
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:26:07 pm »
I have a Music Keg that work's fine, but need to replace my Kenwood HU.  I've read that pretty much any Kenwood HU that has text/cd changer capabilities is compatible, but i've also read that new (2008 & later) Kenwood HUs are not compatible with the Music Keg?  can anyone confirm this?  can I not buy a brand new (2009) Kenwood HU?  thanks!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Muisc Keg compatible with new Kenwood HU?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 05:55:05 pm »
Short answer:  No.  Kenwood HUs from 2008 on are apparently not compatible with the Keg.  At least one user has reported on this forum from his personal experience, and later confirmed this with a Kenwood tech.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline kilmerman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 09:46:03 pm »
thanks!  now I just gotta find a 2007 Kenwood HU.  Can anyone recommend a decent HU ($100-$200 price range) that is known to be compatible with the OEM Music Keg? 

Offline jheyerman

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Music Keg compatible with new Kenwood HU?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:05:40 am »
I was the one who posted that experience...  but I just rec'd word from Kenwood Canada that 2009 decks (and maybe 2008 decks - didn't confirm - see below) are compatible if one uses the KCA-S220A switching device with them.  I am going to try it out and will let you know what I find.  Below are excerpts from a couple e-mail exchanges with Kenwood Canada tech support:

1) Do any of them [2009 models] support lossless formats (WMA lossless?) thru USB
2) Will the 2009 models be compatible with 
 Kenwood Music Keg (2008 models were not).

1. No , but we will support .WAV from iPod
2. Yes, but you need to connect the Music Keg via a Switch model # KCA-S220A to the
unit... We just received this updates from Japan that KCA-S220A will do the job...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:09:17 am by jheyerman »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:11:09 am »
It might be worth clarifying that when they are talking about the Music Keg, that they are talking about the KHD-CX710 or KHD-CX910 and not their new Media Player devices!  (Just in case)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:34:26 am »
Stuart is right.  In Japan they still sell the iPod-like "Media Keg" , and as that info comes from Japan you'd do well to clarify.  Of course, that Keg should connect via USB and not a changer switch.

Also, caveat emptor, the KCA-S220A is just a simple two-into-one changer switch.  It must be connected to the head unit via a 5L-bus changer controller, which is not present on most of the current Kenwood lineup.

Offline jheyerman

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »
Well, I took your advice and sent a request for confirmation (actually re-confirmation!) to the tech I had been e-mailing with. Hopefully get a reply tomorrow...

I am a bit confused by the 5L-bus changer controller comment.  I thought almost all Kenwood decks had a changer controller - ie the 12/13? DIN connector for addition of bluetooth controllers, sat tuners, hd tuners, etc?

The deck I am thinking of getting is the KDC-X993, manual located here:

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals%5Ckdcx993.pdf

Does that show the req'd controller?

Thanks,
Jeff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:10:02 pm by jheyerman »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »
Probably more accurate to write that the changer control is not present in many of the current head units, not necessarily most, and it may be more the case with European models than U.S. (btw, it's also much easier to tell on the European website).  Europe still does not have an equivalent to Sirius, so no consideration is made on the head units for sat tuners.  The only option are digital TV tuners, which connect via a different interface.  Some of the multimedia head units have the right connector, but it's designated for nav input, and the manuals do not make any reference to changers.

Anyway, the one you posted clearly has the changer control -- as long it says it has the changer control, it's the one you need for the KCA-S220A switch. 

What I still do not understand is how adding a 2 into 1 switch to a changer controller that seemingly lacks the protocol for controlling the Music Keg is going to remedy the situation.  Though that switch model is several years old and would be compatible by itself, it's still a slave to the master controller.

If you get confirmation from Kenwood, still make sure you can return whatever you get in case it doesn't work out.  I will certainly be interested in the results, because I would like to be able to change my head unit at some point, but not if it means giving up my Keg.

Offline jheyerman

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »
Well, KW Canada tech re-reconfirmed, so I am going to proceed to give it a shot.  Got the S220A for $45 on Amazon, so not a huge investment.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:59:50 am »
It'll be a huge boost to the community if the switch does work, so please keep us posted!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline jheyerman

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 08:20:51 pm »