Author Topic: possible new drive advice needed  (Read 5804 times)

Offline sven

• A few posts under my belt.
possible new drive advice needed
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:38:23 pm »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822146231

I assume this drive would work with the new firmware patcher?  This is the largest drive I could find as I have 110GB of music.  If anyone sees any problems with this drive I would appreciate a heads-up.  I currently have the 20GB DMS.

Thanks to all who have put so much time into this.  I've been reading all the posts and have been watching the progress you guys have made over the past few months.  I must say it's really amazing what you guys have come up with.  I love my Keg but I never thought I would see the day when I could finally have all music in one place.   Especially since Phatnoise hasn't made any noise about offering larger drives.

Looking forward to the latest release of the patcher for us n00bs!

Cheers!

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: possible new drive advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 12:04:40 am »
yes that drive would work fine.  However I got the 100 gig seagate 5400 rpm for 179.99 at frys in a box with a 5 year waranty on it.. so if its worth the extra $$ for 20 gigs.. go for it.

We havent tested 127 gig or larger drives so that MAY not work.. we are not sure yet.  it should but time will tell.  may have to replace the kernel on the phatbox to make it happen.  dunno.

Offline sven

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:32:05 am »
Sweet.  I shall order it up ASAP.  It is quite a bit higher in price for sure, but my justification is that then all my music fits on one DMS and I'm done (110GB) with needing a larger drive.  This should give my keg some serious longevity.

How careful do you have to be when removing the old hard drive?  I've replaced drives in desktop systems before but I didn't know how frail the guts of the DMS were.  

Thanks.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:50:54 am »
Trust me, its not hard at all
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline snoggle

• 2004 Impala LS + KHD-CX910
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 04:40:54 am »
I know it won't work for your gigantic collection, but CompUSA has a Centon brand 60 gig drive for $99 after rebate, and $130 before rebate. This deal ends tomorrow, 7/30/2005

This should be a good drive for those of us who can't afford a huge drive. I am going to pick mine up tomorrow. Next  problem - how to pay for it (without borrowing money)

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 03:43:00 pm »
Newegg has a nice collection of drives and offers shipping for a couple of bucks....