Author Topic: I need some help retrieving voice promps  (Read 7677 times)

Offline nativetongue03

I need some help retrieving voice promps
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »
I recently reformatted my hardrive.

Before reformatting it i remembered all the modifications i had to make to the voice prompts in PMM 3.92 and all the time it took (some were pronounciation and language changes to french) so I figured i'd back up the Phatnoise folder and try to replace the voice files once i reinstall PMM.

How would i go about doing this?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: I need some help retrieving voice promps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:39:10 am »
If you are trying to backup what I call the 'static prompts' (ie 'Now playing', 'Now browsing') then this is simply all the files in the PHTSYS/TTS directory.
If you are trying to backup the voice prompts for your media, then this is PHTDTA/TTS.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »
I think that nativetongue03 was asking about the TTS settings for artist, album etc that may have been customised by the user to sound correctly when the TTS is used to recreate the spoken tags.

These are contained in c:\Program Files\PhatNoise Media Manager\Data\voice_dictionary.db

It is also useful to take copies of the other files in that folder...

PCPlaylists.xml
PMM.db
UpdaterDirs

If copied back after a reinstall of the software they allow the previous playlists and associations with stored media to be quickly recovered.

(ahem... guess whose Win XP needed a massive restore from archive this weekend...)

Cheers!

Les.

Offline nativetongue03

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:30:46 am »
I think that nativetongue03 was asking about the TTS settings for artist, album etc that may have been customised by the user to sound correctly when the TTS is used to recreate the spoken tags.

These are contained in c:\Program Files\PhatNoise Media Manager\Data\voice_dictionary.db

It is also useful to take copies of the other files in that folder...

PCPlaylists.xml
PMM.db
UpdaterDirs

If copied back after a reinstall of the software they allow the previous playlists and associations with stored media to be quickly recovered.

(ahem... guess whose Win XP needed a massive restore from archive this weekend...)

Cheers!

Les.

You're right and i tried that but it didnt work. I copied the entire phatnoise/Data folder back into the new install and the darn thing's not showing y old tags/promps. Good luck with yours and let me know if you figure it out..

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:09 pm »
I just tried some more.  I am sure that last time I did it it was that file.  Maybe it's that in conjunction with another.  I just made some changes to the dictionary, and after quitting the program I saw that there was another file which updated.  It has a 16 character file name (hex digits).db

The customisations that I just made were in there.  Now, I suspect that the sixteen digit file name changes with each install, so if you have a previous file from an earlier installation you may have to rename it to the name of the equivalent file in the new installation.  Only trouble is that file wasn't there in my previous install - I could have sworn that I had customised some of the speech in the last installation.  Anyway, I have now, and I can at least save those changes and then get them back if I screw things up.  Only time will tell whether that works across an installation though.  If you have such a file in your back up, and if PMM creates a new .db file with a 16 digit name, try renaming the old file to the new name and then copying it over.

I also just did some tests with voice_dictionary.db   It seems that PMM uses this file to store the details of the voices used.  If you delete the file and start up PMM, all entries in the dictionary go to the default voice, but only if the other db file was not already present.  If you specify some different voices, they go in that file I think.

I'm sorry that the previous information was not complete / misleading.  I guess we're all still learning stuff.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:49:04 pm by S80_UK »

Offline nativetongue03

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:41:19 am »
I just tried some more.  I am sure that last time I did it it was that file.  Maybe it's that in conjunction with another.  I just made some changes to the dictionary, and after quitting the program I saw that there was another file which updated.  It has a 16 character file name (hex digits).db

The customisations that I just made were in there.  Now, I suspect that the sixteen digit file name changes with each install, so if you have a previous file from an earlier installation you may have to rename it to the name of the equivalent file in the new installation.  Only trouble is that file wasn't there in my previous install - I could have sworn that I had customised some of the speech in the last installation.  Anyway, I have now, and I can at least save those changes and then get them back if I screw things up.  Only time will tell whether that works across an installation though.  If you have such a file in your back up, and if PMM creates a new .db file with a 16 digit name, try renaming the old file to the new name and then copying it over.

I also just did some tests with voice_dictionary.db   It seems that PMM uses this file to store the details of the voices used.  If you delete the file and start up PMM, all entries in the dictionary go to the default voice, but only if the other db file was not already present.  If you specify some different voices, they go in that file I think.

I'm sorry that the previous information was not complete / misleading.  I guess we're all still learning stuff.

You are right!!!!! THe file name changes with each install. All i had to do was copy my file into the folder, delete the new file and then rename mine (the old one) with the new file' that was delete's name and it worked.

Thanks guys. I reformat my hdd about  twice a year... i needed this