Author Topic: Kenwood DDX-812 won't accept Keg cable  (Read 6107 times)

Offline yamaha1

• PhatHacker
Kenwood DDX-812 won't accept Keg cable
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:20:07 pm »
Installing my new DDX-812 and find out that the position of the input won't allow the Keg cable to plug in.  The deck has a bulge right above the input, so the 90 degree bend on the cable hits the bulge before it can reach the input.  Anyone else running a new DDX and run into this problem?  Any ideas?  I can attach some photos if my explanation isn't clear.  Thanks.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Kenwood DDX-812 won't accept Keg cable
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Unfortunately, even if you can get the cable plugged in, 2008 and later Kenwood head units apparently will NOT work with the Music Keg.  There are a few other cases confirming this on these boards, and one user was told directly by a Kenwood tech that the newer units are not compatible.  You need a 2007 or earlier model head unit.

Read this for more info:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1703.msg11009.html#msg11009
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline my2kmx5

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:30 am »
I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-x792 which is a current model on the Kenwood USA website. It works with my music keg. I have had no problems including using the viot.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:06:27 am »
The KDC-X792 is basically the same as the 2007 X791, so it may still work as an exception.  Other users with newer multimedia/nav head units have run into problems, and the Kenwood tech from the other post told the user that later models are officially no longer compatible.  The fact that the DDX812 is built in a way that won't even let you plug in the Keg cable is certainly not a good sign.

If you are determined, it should be possible to modify the cable at the radio end with a connector without the 90-degree bend.  Obviously, you need to know something about wiring and soldering.  Have a look at the phathack cable FAQ here:  http://wiki.phathack.com/Cable_FAQ

Good luck!

Offline yamaha1

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 09:33:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I was guessing the only way to hook it up was to cut the end off and solder on a straight end.  I don't want to go to the trouble if it isn't going to work anyway.  Anyone using a portable hard drive hooked up to the USB port?  How well does it work?  Does the deck have enough juice to power most drives or are there certain ones to buy?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:18 am »
Use of anything other than a flash drive on the USB might be hit and miss, because the Kenwood USB port only puts out 500mA, and most HDDs need more juice to spin up.  I have several laptop drives and enclosures, and my DNX7200 does not work with any of them.  Elsewhere on the net, people report success with LaCie mobile drives.  Any 1.8" drive should work, as they require less power.  Keep in mind whatever you use must be formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, not NTFS.

However, a big problem with using flash or HDDs over USB is that they have to be indexed every time you start up.  If you have more than a few GBs of music, it can take quite a while.  Others might have different opinions, but I would recommend just going the iPod route.

Offline nvradtec

• I'm to old to grow up now
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 06:06:26 pm »
If you have patience and have good soldering skills, you can purchase a "staight" 13 pin din
connector for a Kenwood amateur radio (same connector) and replace the right angled end.

Thing to watch out for is the clearance behind the radio to the dash, the straight connector extends about another inch to inch an a quarter behind the head unit.

Steve
KDC-X991 USB HU, Sirius 902, Excelon 542 4 ch amp,  910 Keg, 100 and 160 GB DMS, Excelon 87 CD Changer, all through a 210 switch