Author Topic: PMM 3.92 Vista 64 Voice issues.....HELP!!!  (Read 11400 times)

Offline Porpoise Hork

PMM 3.92 Vista 64 Voice issues.....HELP!!!
« on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »
ok so im having all kinds of trouble here..

pmm 3.92 in vista 64.  pmm installs and hangs with the AT&T part. I swapped the msi files per this threads instructuions http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1448.0.html but voice promps dont work.  I set pmm to XP mode and admin.. when I try to install the AT&T text to speech it says the pmm data.cab file is missing and wont finish the install.  when attempting to recreate voice tags pmm says it cant stream the file and thus wont create voice tags.  I downloaded microsoft Speech SDK. 5.3 and i try to use microsoft voice..and now it tells me Speak Failed 1% pmm could not create voice prompts and to make sure i have AT&T, scansoft, or m$ voice selected. and to turn off A/V and Firewall.. but i cant install AT&T cause the pmm data.cab file is missing...

so what am i doing wrong or need to do now to make PMM and voices work again?

Offline frustrated

Re: PMM 3.92 Vista 64 Voice issues.....HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:30:03 pm »
I am having the same problem. Were you able to fix this?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 10:27:16 am »
I am having the same problem. Were you able to fix this?

I'm running Windows 7 x64 here. I don't use PMM 3 (I use the older Music Manager), so I don't know if all of this will be helpful.

With PhatNoise Music Manager 2.35, I just installed it and clicked ignore when the Natural Voices sub-install errored out. That got me a complete PMM install with no Natural Voices, just as you'd get if you downloaded the web / trial installer from PhatNoise way-back-when (since PhatNoise had to pay royalties to AT&T, they didn't include that with the trial version).

That got me a version of PMM that could only generate speech with Microsoft Anna.

I then installed all of the 1.4 Natural Voices (I own all of them, for PhatVoice testing). They all show up fine and work. Depending on the age of the particular voice setup file, some of them error out with a "not supported on this operating system", but then Windows 7 pops up a "This application may not have installed correctly - do you want to retry with suggested settings?" box, and upon accepting that, the voice installs fine. The newer ones don't generate that error and just install.

It is a shame that PhatNoise continued to ship the obsolete 1.2 AT&T version long after 1.4 was available. That may have been because AT&T didn't want to sell the voices as standalone products any more.

The Speech SDK should NOT be installed. Windows 7 (and Vista too, I think) include newer versions than the standalone SAPI 5.1 installer (5.3 on Vista, 5.4 on Windows 7). I don't think there are any legit standalone installers for SAPI 5.3 or newer, per this Microsoft Speech Blog. Unfortunately, that seems to mean that the TTS executable demos are no longer available without downloading the whole Platform SDK. But you don't need it to generate speech with PMM / PhatVoice. I'll be revising the PhatVoice documentation to include information on Vista / 7 in the future

Offline GundamWZero

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26:04 pm »
How did you get yours to work in Windows 7 x64?? I can't even get my drivers to load into the new OS.... :'(

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 06:26:17 pm »
How did you get yours to work in Windows 7 x64??

Me? My what working?

I can't even get my drivers to load into the new OS.... :'(

Which drivers? For the cradle? I used the USB 2 cradle which Windows 7 detected. There are issues with larger drives, which has led me to design a new circuit board for the cradle, discussed here.

Offline GundamWZero

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:59:38 am »
Me? My what working?

Which drivers? For the cradle? I used the USB 2 cradle which Windows 7 detected. There are issues with larger drives, which has led me to design a new circuit board for the cradle, discussed here.

Oh I see you are running Windows 7. I mis-read that you had the DMS operational under Windows 7. Bad eyesight on my part. :)

I have yet hacked a new HDD into my DMS (just learned this weekend that it carries the same hdd found in my laptop and PS3). I was planning to try my old PS3 hdd (60gb) in the Music Keg to see if it works, but I am waiting to see if you can drum up a solution or cure for the cradle (USB 1 rev A) ailments.....

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:42 am »
I have yet hacked a new HDD into my DMS (just learned this weekend that it carries the same hdd found in my laptop and PS3). I was planning to try my old PS3 hdd (60gb) in the Music Keg to see if it works, but I am waiting to see if you can drum up a solution or cure for the cradle (USB 1 rev A) ailments.....

I believe the PS3 uses SATA drives (as do modern notebooks). The PhatBox/Keg DMS uses the older IDE (PATA) type drive. I just wanted to tell you that before you started opening things up.

The cradle fix will be a new circuit board to replace the one already inside the cradle. I have had a prototype running here for some time without problems, but it is running on the evaluation board (huge) for the main chip. I'm waiting for the blank circuit board samples to come back so I can assemble some and verify that everything works before doing the main batch of boards. The DMS connectors arrived on Christmas Eve, well ahead of schedule.

Offline tokuro

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »
you can use this program with PMM to generate voice.  it works on win7/vista 64bit

http://www.tmk.com/PhatVoice/index.shtml