Author Topic: Phatnoise Media Manager 3.92 and Phathack Media Manager and USB 2 Cradle - Vista  (Read 12761 times)

Offline dippdydo

• PhatHacker
It has been a really long time since I contacted this forum.  But now I am in desparate need of help.

I haven't updated my DMS Cartridge for a really long time.  The main reason is that my old XP computer took a dump and I was never able to get anything running on my new Vista computer.

Previously, I hacked my cartridge successfully and put in a 160 gig cartridge.  It worked well for me and have been enjoying it for more than a year.  However, I now need to update my music so I thought I would give it a go this weekend to get it all up and running.

Here are my issues:

1.  When I connect the DMS cartridge to my computer, sometimes it recognizes the cartridge and assigns the drive letters properly.  Sometimes it doesn't.  When it does, it takes a really long time, like more than 10 minutes.  Is that just because the drive is now really big?  I have tried different USB ports on my computer, and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

2.  When the Phatnoise Media Manager launches, auomatically after it assigns the drive letters, I get an error, "Error setting registrykey.  Please call Customer Service. Error 118."  Then, after I hit ok about 6 or so times, I get past that error and another window pops up.  It says, "your phatnoise media manager is out of date and needs to be upgraded.  Please download the newest PMM from www.phatnoise.com and install it.  Even though I have 3.92 installed already.  When I hit ok to that, it closes the software and launches me ina browser to http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/download_pmmsw.aspx.

3.  Then when I try to open the Phatnoise Media Manager after that, the part where it finds the DMS Cartridge always seems to get locked up and I cannot get past it.

4.  I try to run the DMS doctor and it fails on checking for system files, but I cannot see the entire error as it gets cut off.  "Fail.  Could not find the system file l:\<!DOCTYPE H..."  is all that I can see.  It gave me the option to see the DMS troubleshooting FAQ, but when I click Yes, it takes me to http://www.phatnoise.com/support/faq/index.php?r=&criteria=DMSFAIL4, and the resource cannot be found.

5.  I have tried to use the Phathack Media Manager, but I can't really figure out how to import all of my music from my computer's hard drive.  When I select a folder that has a bunch of artist folder underneath it, it doesn't seem to import everything that is in the folder.  For example, I have an iTunes Music Folder that I have tried to select, and it only seems to bring in the podcasts and not any of the music I have converted from my own CD's.  Is there any documents that outline how to use the software?

Could anyone help with getting me up and running?  I would owe you tremendously!  is there a way to fix or replace the system files on the DMS cartridge?  Maybe something became corrupt?

Thanks!

Dippdy

Offline dippdydo

• PhatHacker
AlSee the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "" to type 'Integer' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(String Value)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(String Value)
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.RepairDMS(Boolean PhtSYSOnly, String LogFile, String FunctionTitle)
   at StandAloneDMSHackWizard.frmStartupWizard.btnRepairPHTSYS_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
StandAloneDMSHackWizard
    Assembly Version: 2.12.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.2.12
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/StandAloneDMSHackWizard.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
PhatUnzip
    Assembly Version: 1.3.3.0
    Win32 Version: 1.3.3
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatUnzip.DLL
VorTechS.DMSTools
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/VorTechS.DMSTools.DLL
DMS
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/DMS.DLL
UsbEject
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/UsbEject.DLL
PhatDriveSnapshot
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatDriveSnapshot.DLL
Bass.Net
    Assembly Version: 2.3.1.8
    Win32 Version: 2.3.1.8
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/Bass.Net.DLL
Interop.WbemScripting
    Assembly Version: 1.2.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/Interop.WbemScripting.DLL
CustomMarshalers
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/CustomMarshalers/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/CustomMarshalers.dll
PhatPartition
    Assembly Version: 2.0.3049.16715
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/PhatHack/PhatHack%20DMS%20Tools/PhatPartition.DLL
msvcm80d
    Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.762
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.762
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_24c8a196583ff03b/msvcm80d.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.so, when I tried to run the Phathack DMS tools to fix the phtsys files, I receive an error:

Offline dippdydo

• PhatHacker
My request for help can be disregarded...  I was able to make it work after many hours of fine-tuning...  Here is what I learned, in case someone else has a similar set of problems.

1.  Update Vista with latest patches, etc.
2.  Make sure to run Phatnoise Media Manager as the administrator.
3.  Open PMM first, then insert the cartridge into cradle.
4.  If Vista doesn't assign a drive letter to the cartridge, I found luck by double-clicking on where you normally click to "safely disconnect items."  Not on the specific item itself, but on the option on the toolbar.  Then you can select the device from a list.  In my case, Vista was saying there was a USB Mass Storage Device attached, but it wouldn't assign the drive letters.  So, after opening up the details of the item, there is a button to force the volumes to populate.  Each time I did this, it appeared to assign the drive letters.  Not sure if this is a coincidence, but it worked for me.
5.  Rightclicking on the desktop shorcut to PMM, select the Properties option.  This is where you go to set up the application to "Run as Administrator."  However, I also found out that there is a Compatibility tab.  After I selected to run the application in Windows XP Compatibility mode, it all seemed to work again smoothly.

Just my quick tips if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

Dippdydo