Author Topic: No music just buzzing...  (Read 6346 times)

Offline mtrulz

No music just buzzing...
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »
I have a problem with my music keg.  I'm somewhat familar with music kegs since I have had one in my civic that has never given me a problem since 2003. So thought it would be nice to have another one and I picked up a used keg installed the newest firmware and seems to have updated just fine.  My problem is that all I get from the headunit is a buzzing sound.  The tracks show up, the text shows up, and everything else except the actual music.  I first had it plugged into a KMD-671R minidisc deck which from a CD changer perspective everything worked except for sound.  According to Kenwood this HU is not compatible with the music keg, its too old. I have to have something 1999 and newer.  So I just picked up a KDC-MP438U HU and I'm still having the same problem.  This one recognizes it as a harddrive ext and shows all the tracks too, but still the same buzzing sound, no music.  So I am stumped.  I have a newer HU, new music keg cable from pac parts, everything works fine in both Media Manager and Music Manager, but nothing is making it play music through my speakers.  Do I have another non-compatible HU?  Could the cable be defective?  Could the Music Keg be defective?  If someone could shed some light on my problem I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: No music just buzzing...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:51:54 pm »
Are you certain that the head unit you bought supports the Keg?  Kenwood should have told you to buy something from 1999-2007, because from 2008 they dropped official support for the Keg.  Some later models are reported as working through an external switch.  See this topic:   
http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2127.0.html

Since the Keg is recognized and you are seeing track information, we can assume it does -- if you were seeing track info on your minidisc HU it probably could have worked as well.  Did you try resetting the HU?  Sometimes that's really all it takes.  Do you get sound from other sources?

If a reset doesn't work, the easiest thing to do would be a process of elimination.  Take the Keg out of your Civic and try it in place of the Keg you just bought.  If it works, then you know right away that the new Keg is at fault.  If it doesn't work, then the problem is either the new cable or the HU.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline mtrulz

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 12:26:42 am »
I have reset both headunits and it never made a difference... I get sound from all of the other sources just not the music keg.  Also I thought about doing the process of elimination, but unfortunately my civic resides in Montana and my Accord that I am working trying to install a this used keg is in Florida.. So it isn't as easy as just going out to the garage.  Would be nice though!  I guess I could try and borrow my girlfriend's older HU and see if it will work... Otherwise I am not sure what else to try. Thank you for your input its much appreciated!  Does anyone else have any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 12:28:59 am by mtrulz »

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:33:04 pm »
I've seen on a few VW forums in general browsing, that bad earth's can cause this.  I guess check your head unit has a nice, clean earth point and that all other connections are good.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)